The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car wont even crank over after engine rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe sobo

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2007
stuart, Virginia
i just rebuilt my engine and put it all back together. i go to start it, and when i turn the key to the ON position, there is none of the normal dsm noises that you usually hear, like the injectors and the little buzzer noise. i looked throuth here before posting but everyone else that had this type of problem, their car would crank but not start. or theirs' wouldn't crank but none said anything about not getting juice somewhere. i don't even hear my fuel pump come on. i checked everysingle fuse but they are all good

There is a small "ding" wire that goes to the starter its a black wire with a yellow stripe. If its disonnected the starter wont engage. Follow the small wire from the starter back to the main harness. There should be a single wire connector make sure its plugged in tight and not corroded the 2gs are bad about this connector corroding or breaking.

i made sure it was plugged in. whyu i am stumbled is i went out to check what else was going on and i realized that even when i turn the key on, none of the guage lights( you know, when you turn the key on position just before cranking it) come on either, nor does my power windows

i do not think that the alarm has anything to do with it, but is there any way to disconect it just to be sure? i dont have a remote for it, and before i did the engine over, the car ran with a knock but still ran. and i have not touched any wiring except under the hood

Make sure your "engine" fuse isnt blow. It either is labeled IGNITION or ENGINE. If its connected make sure the + wire to the fusebox is connected to the battery! Should have a large wire to the starter a small wire like mentioned above and then a few wires from the positive side running to the fuse box

I;m kind of having the same issue after rebuilding my engine too on my 1g, i'll be watching this thread to see what people suggest

***************UPDATE*****************
so i realized that the plug in for theignition on the steering column had somehow came unplugged. so i plugged it and the car started right up but after like 10 seconds it shuts right back off. i can't seem to figure it out. also, when i hit the gas lightly, the car wants to stall, and once i let off, it will start to idle, then just shuts off.

***************UPDATE*****************
so i realized that the plug in for theignition on the steering column had somehow came unplugged. so i plugged it and the car started right up but after like 10 seconds it shuts right back off. i can't seem to figure it out. also, when i hit the gas lightly, the car wants to stall, and once i let off, it will start to idle, then just shuts off.

When it does this, do the lights on the dash turn off as well? Or does the oil light, CEL, and other lights stay lit?

When it does this, do the lights on the dash turn off as well? Or does the oil light, CEL, and other lights stay lit?

yes, the light turn off also. also is that after doing this three or four times in a row, then on the 5th try, the car just makes a click noise, and wont even turn over

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back