The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car wont build boost after FMIC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstspyda97

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2004
Vandalia, Ohio
ok so i finally get my JRC FMIC on and i take it for a spin to see if i have ne small boost leaks and as usual(after ive done a mod) my car will not work in someway and there is something not letting it build boost @ all! it does but once you get to a certain point it just bucks and backfires :mad: ive been working on this for over a week and i just want my car back its my DD and i didnt think this would be a month thing installing a FMIC, and another thing, my RPM gauge is not working it just lies on the stopper or bounes around every once in awhile :mad: :mad: i dont know why i cant build boost! i hear no leaks that are major and just AHHH im about to turn around and sell this POS and put my SMIC back on at least it made my car driveable, if any one knows what i could possibly do, besides a boost leak test, i really need this car back on the road(oh yea ONCE i hit 10 psi and the driver side u bend to the END TANK BLEW OFF completely and just hung there, i dont know why all this is doing it,luckily i have the maft setup or my car prolly wouldnt have made it the 2 blocks i drove it down the street to see if it works!!! i just need help and i need it ASAP thanx alot for ne information ne one has!

alex

gstspyda97 said:
ok so i finally get my JRC FMIC on and i take it for a spin to see if i have ne small boost leaks and as usual(after ive done a mod) my car will not work in someway and there is something not letting it build boost @ all! it does but once you get to a certain point it just bucks and backfires :mad: ive been working on this for over a week and i just want my car back its my DD and i didnt think this would be a month thing installing a FMIC, and another thing, my RPM gauge is not working it just lies on the stopper or bounes around every once in awhile :mad: :mad: i dont know why i cant build boost! i hear no leaks that are major and just AHHH im about to turn around and sell this POS and put my SMIC back on at least it made my car driveable, if any one knows what i could possibly do, besides a boost leak test, i really need this car back on the road(oh yea ONCE i hit 10 psi and the driver side u bend to the END TANK BLEW OFF completely and just hung there, i dont know why all this is doing it,luckily i have the maft setup or my car prolly wouldnt have made it the 2 blocks i drove it down the street to see if it works!!! i just need help and i need it ASAP thanx alot for ne information ne one has!

alex
Why is the intercooler a POS? Im 100% sure its user install error. Make a boost leak tester and check to see where it's leaking, or what isnt connected. Any CEL? Dont blame the intercooler.

everything is connected tight, but sure enough im going to tighten everything back up and build a leak down tester, i was just mad @ the situation when i typed that last one you have yo understand all the things ive tried and how long this process has taken, thanx for the input

alex

I'm not sure if JR has changed the kit, but the clamp on the throttle body elbow needs to be tightened down all the way to be tight.

i know i should have done a boost leak test before i even came on here to complain, but ive tightened down every clamp, every which way i can and i hear no boost leaks that shold be extemely major and my vac idle is the same as before so i figured id come in here and ask, i mean thats what this site is for correct? but i will do a boost leak test after installing all the pipe how i have them and then see where the leak could be, then i may just take em up to DEJON and have em bead all the piping :thumb:
thanx for your input guys it helps!

alex

btw i have a maft setup on my TB elbow, what exact clamp are you talking bout? canadian

What do your logs tell you with the Pocketlogger? Your Tach isn't working after the install and you aren't getting any boost and it's bucking. Sounds like a few issues. Are you getting proper airflow readings? Does the pocketlogger show you RPM? With the MAFT only leaks post MAF would cause the bucking due to over richness. It could be one of the wires from the CAS is coroded or even broken or shorting.

so could i have recieved a faulty front mount intercooler, because i know for sure everything is hooked up nice and tight for it to @ least build boost, but it wont it just blows the pipe off on the driver side end tank, i can snap pics tmrw

also could the wastegate position or fuel have ne thing to do with it, i installed a B&M FPR and my dad moved the wastegate just over a lil bit to allign with the j pipe

ill try my best to get pics tmrw, im just sooo busy with work & skool everyday

thanx
alex :thumb:

yea my logger is showing RPM's but the gauge has seem to stop, i believe there may be a short in the CAS and MAFT RPM signal(where you splice into)
dont know bout airflow rate, havent been able to see, oh yea once the pipe blows off i can hear my turbo wining air out of the pipe and it sounds like it coming completely out of there with no leak?

edit:would flipping the intercooler around so the end tanks are swapped do a bit of anything?

Umm if you moved the wastegate over it is possible that the gate isn't completly closed. You can just disconnect the actuator and see if it is pulling the wastegate closed at the way.

The RPM signal from the CAS is to be tapped into and not spliced into with the MAF-T. If you did cut it and just twisted it together you might want to get the soldering iron out and solder that all together. If you used one of those vampire splices I would take it out and shave the insulation away where it was cutting into it. Those totally suck and cause way to many problems. I always solder everything I splice into. Never have to worry about it coming loose. The wire breaks before the solder will break.

You would be the first person that I know of that have no leaks after a job like fmic and piping install. The boost leak test should have been done right after the fmic install before the test drive. Do not WOT any more until the leak test unless you plan on replacing the turbo soon.

yea, i havent went WOT yet, and i still plan on making a boost leak test, but i also think me and my dad may have cut the pipes a lil to short, thanx for the input on everything and sorry for not doing a boost leak test before coming on here guys :coy:

gstspyda97 said:
i know i should have done a boost leak test before i even came on here to complain, but ive tightened down every clamp, every which way i can and i hear no boost leaks that shold be extemely major and my vac idle is the same as before so i figured id come in here and ask, i mean thats what this site is for correct? but i will do a boost leak test after installing all the pipe how i have them and then see where the leak could be, then i may just take em up to DEJON and have em bead all the piping :thumb:
thanx for your input guys it helps!

alex

btw i have a maft setup on my TB elbow, what exact clamp are you talking bout? canadian
Just take our advice and make the boost leak tester. Just because your vacuum is normal doesnt mean you dont have a boost leak! Boost leaks before the TB will still make the vacuum normal since vacuum is after the tb butterfly.

ok guys thanx for everything, i got the boost leak tester i built it @ work(lowes :thumb: ) but by the time i got home it was dark so ill get back at everything tmrw after class

thanx guys for all your help even though i was the newb :tease:

edit: what type of couplings do you guys use for custom piping? a link maybe?

also my dads friend is going to weld on some little beads on the end, not a full bead job like DEjon or ne things, but just little stubs to at least have something :thumb: ,then another boost leak test is on the way

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back