The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Spyder Car won’t start after clutch job

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ybarguen906

Probationary Member
Apr 25, 2021
San bernardino, California
I replaced the clutch and flywheel in my 99 eclipse and after putting it back together the car won’t start it just made a click Tried to jumpstart it but got was not able to get it to start. Got the battery and starter tested both passed the test, and replaced the alternator fuse as it was blown. Car makes a click and a humming noise when I turn the key but doesn’t start. What else should I check? Any info is appreciated.

Even though you tested the starter and battery.. did you make sure to reconnect both ends of the ground/power between the battery and starter harness? Simple mistake that can be easily overlooked.
Yea I double checked after reading this.

If the starter and battery checked out okay, and you can rotate the engine with a socket/rachet on the crank bolt, its gotta be a bad connection or a corroded battery cable.

I don't know what kind of eclipse you have, I don't know what kind of clutch you put in, and I don't know what flywheel you are running. What I will say is in the past I tried to use an act streetlite with an act 2900 and southbend kevlar disc and it wouldn't work, tried alot of stuff. Still didn't work. Put an act unsprung 4puck and she ran like seabiscuit with no adjustments at all

I don't know what kind of eclipse you have, I don't know what kind of clutch you put in, and I don't know what flywheel you are running. What I will say is in the past I tried to use an act streetlite with an act 2900 and southbend kevlar disc and it wouldn't work, tried alot of stuff. Still didn't work. Put an act unsprung 4puck and she ran like seabiscuit with no adjustments at all
ACT doesn’t play well with other brands of parts. Hell, it barely plays nice when you run ACT everything!!

Does the 2g have the same clutch pedal switch that 1g have? Since you did clutch work and now it won’t start. If that included adjusting the pedal, it’s easy to imagine the clutch safety switch got moved or damaged. If that switch is present and not pushed in by the pedal, then the car won’t turn over.

My guess would be the starter spade connector for the solenoid was not reinstalled or fell off during installation. Humming is likely the fuel pump priming.

Either clean the starter or buy a new one, what you prefer, humming noise comes from starter and clicking from solenoid, something's jammed or not moving correctly, if you clean the starter, remember to grease everything before assemble it back together and when starter is parted out, good time to spray some paint on it, looks more appealing, also check the starter wires and clean connectors, and spray some copper spray on starter terminals

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back