The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Car stops rolling in reverse. Bad Rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froyd79

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2003
Altoona, Pennsylvania
When I bought the car it was a gsx with tcase and shaft off So driving like that for a year prolly junked the rear but anyway I put the tcase and shaft up changed all fluids with synchromesh in the tranny and mobil 1 80 90 in the tcase and rear. Well around a turn it squeals and is hard to go like the other wheel is trying to spin backwards. Well in first gear going straight and in reverse it moves freely if I turn the wheel appx 1 revolution in any direction driving forward or back it just doesnt want to go and you can feel something getting tight. Its pretty crazy but Anybody think it could be the tcase I cant see it being that but I own a dsm Ive seen some crazy sheet. Drop a line Thanks P

Welded or seized centre diff.

If it wasn't welded before you drove it with the prop shaft disconnected it certainly will be by now.

Charles

For some reason i thought it was definately the rear but after some research I exhibit all the tell tale signs of a bad center diff. Silver metal flake color tranny fluid thumping on accel and decel So I guess its time for a rebuild!

yea, you cant just drop the T-case and drive around fwd without any damage. the center diff would just be spinning, trying to send power to the rear, burning itself up.
im supprised it still drove that long in 2wd form, stock diffs can explode like grenades and turn your tranny to scrap metal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back