The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Car starts then stalls???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontsi3

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2006
keene, New_Hampshire
Hey guys,
So I can turn my car over it will run for about two seconds then die. I can hold the gas to the floor the rpm's will raise to about 3k then when the two seconds is done it dies. This happened to me on wednessday morning before going to work I couldnt get it started so I left it I went back out around 2 when it warmed up and the sun was out she started and ran perfect. And it ran perfect yesterday. It only seems to do this when its rainy out, I thought it might be the wires so I just got new msd's and new ngk plugs as well. I put the wires on but dont have any tools with me to put the plugs in ### I'm still at work! What a way to start a friday off. And help would be greatly apreciated. I thought it might be a sensore but all are on tight.
-Alex

I know for the 97-98 thats on the left side of the intake cam is it down low on the right hand side for a 95? I got it to run I turned it off, turned it on ran good let it sit for ten minutes now its doing the same stuff. Thanks

I agree with the CAS suggestion. On the 2ga models, the CAS is nestled inconveniently under the cam pulleys. The 2gb designers were kind enough to move it somewhere convenient. I changed my CAS in about 5 minutes moving quite slowly. If someone asked me to do it again in record time, I could do it in about 45 seconds. Not sure how much of a pain it is on a 2ga.

First thing is to read the CEL code. As TALONTRAX said, P0340 means a bad CAS.

Could this be a fuel issue? This is completely off topic and im sorry for jacking the post like this, but my winter beater (1994 Saab 900 S) Is doing this same very thing. Whats a CAS? Sorry im kinda noobish with terms.

Could this be a fuel issue? This is completely off topic and im sorry for jacking the post like this, but my winter beater (1994 Saab 900 S) Is doing this same very thing. Whats a CAS? Sorry im kinda noobish with terms.

Take a look here:

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/cas.htm

The zoomed-in image has a box around a silver part. The black sensor and plug are on the upper-left side of it. The sensor is bolted to that silver part with one 10mm bolt. Unplug the sensor, blow hard into the plug you just removed, put it back on firmly, and wiggle it a bit. If that makes a difference, I'd bet a dollar it's the CAS. If it doesn't help, it could still be the CAS. The CAS cost me $80 at Autozone, and is super easy to replace. Just unscrew the bolt, pull out the sensor, smear some oil on the o-ring of the new sensor, and pop it back in and put the bolt back in. Torque spec is 78in-lb (6.5ft-lb) which is not much.

I Pulled the code and it sure was the Cas P0340, Thanks. My question is does anyone have any experience with replacing one of these on a 2ga? My car is still sitting in my work parking lot and hopefully I will get her running after work. Thanks
-Alex

Ya I do have a manual I bought one two years ago when I bought the car, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints to it.??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back