The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Car starts on ACC and Starter stays running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEz

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
I'm certain this is a ignition problem that involves a short. Reason I know this is because ignition fuse keeps blowing, I need help on how to test it with a multi meter. I have a multi meter but don't know how to use it.
I have an 97' auto FWD :( I checked the Starter Relay. And it turns out I have 4-prong relay(this is the relay with the black/yellow wire). How do I test this out.

Do you have a turbo timer?

No I do not.

UPDATE: Everything stays on, not just the starter. I simply put the key from ACC to ON, and everything turns (the fuel pump stays on, the starter starts the car and keeps running.) Keep in mind that I did not every crank it.

Do you guys think it could be anything to do with the MPI relay? The symptoms are that everything turns on at the"ON" position without cranking.

You have a bad ignition switch.

How could you tell? I understand that the ign fuse keeps blowing but how can everything(including the starter) work on the ON position without even trying to crank it?

I'm going to be pulling out the key tumbler early in the morning tomorrow any advice?

You shouldn't need to pull the key tumbler out. IIRC there are 2 screws holding the actual switch to the steering lock assembly. Pull those and the switch comes right off.

The ignition switch is on the driver's side of the steering column, and like Mike96 said it's two phillip's head screws to remove it. There's a large rectangular harness (was blue on my car) going into it. The screws are a bit difficult to remove without a 90-degree screwdriver (preferably a ratcheting one).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back