The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

car stalling when let of gas quick and makes rattling noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defyance

Probationary Member
Aug 5, 2011
coldwater, ON_Canada
so i have a 95 eagle talon turbo all stock except for the exhaust i bought the car 2 days ago and noticed when driving home that if i let off gas quick and put in nutrual car would die. today when i go to go out car was still doing the same thing but making a rattling noise. so i took it to 2 mechanics they both say connecting rob bearing so they say i need new motor. thing is that i dont get i didnt have this noise last night when i parked the car i didnt beat on it at all then noise comes all of the sudden maybe im missing something can someone help me out?

You mean rattling as in engine knock?

I know you may not wan't to do this. But to save yourself some money and time.
Maybe learn a thing or 2.

Simply pull the oil pan and wiggle the connecting rods and check for excessive play.

Took me about 30 mins on my 1g. Just a thought. Someone can chime in on the procedure for a 2g.

the rattle sounds like a rod knocking real bad its comming from cylinder from behind the timming belt. im not to sure how to post a video of it im new to the site and not familar with it

I had a really back knocking sound that only turned out to be a pitted up camshaft with a piece of it sheered off. First thing you want to do is let it idle and listen to it. Does it go away at dead idle and come back when you give it gas ( Play with the throttle on your throttle body). Next step would be to pull each spark plug wire (One at a time so you don't get them mixed up). Does the noise stop when you pull a plug on a certain cylinder? Another helpful tool would be to get a mechanics stethoscope. I've had a few heat plates rattle on my car that sounded like rod knock.

at idle the car is fine runs good when u rev up it makes the rattling noise u can hear it more so at about 2800 rpm and up

Deffinatly get a video of the noise. You might get lucky and it be the timing belt tensioner.

I had a lifter go bad which made crazy noise which could of been confused with a blown rod. +1 with the stethoscope, that's how I pin pointed the lifter.

i can take a video but i have no idea how to post it basically its a rapping sounds start in bottom end and go to top end a mechanic has used a scope and said that its a rod bearing and makes the noise of a piston slapping the head i just confused cause i night all good next day its there and when u rev up rattling gets louder and faster it sounds like if u put a few nuts in a metal can and shake it fast thanks for ## help guys im looking into everything u guys mention. if someone can message me how to upload a video on here ill do it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back