The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Spyder Car sputtering after warming up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Palmer

Probationary Member
Oct 12, 2020
Glendale, Arizona
I've followed a few suggestions here, advice given to other, with a lot of good coming from it. I still have issues with the car sputtering while driving. It gets bad after 1-2 minutes of easy driving and high rpms don't help. I've replaced both cats but this did not help. Any suggestions?

I did. Fuel pressure is within specs and 02 sensors replaced with catalytic converters. Possible fuel issue? Fuel pressure regulator maybe. May also be the coil pack, testing that next.

Huh? The first O2 in the downpipe is the one that controls mixture, and should be tested, assuming the spark plugs have been replaced. The O2 after the cat only checks cat operation.
I'll have to consult the book to find out how to test the 02 sensor you sensor.

Definately replace them. They are one of the cheapest parts on your engine (and one may have an internal hairline crack you can't see which might be your problem).
This is my 1st project car and the 1st one I've taken on mostly alone. Even with help from others, it seems like more damage was done then help.

When you replace the spark plugs, be sure the new ones are gapped correctly for your car.

If changing the plugs changes the problem (but doesn't fix it) you have an ignition problem. Keep looking in that department.

I changed out the spark plugs, put the car on a trickle charge (wouldn't start, dead battery symptoms) and took it for a test drive. I made it 0.6 miles before it died. Maybe a bad alternator? Well, I don't need a gym membership if I just push the thing around.

I've followed a few suggestions here, advice given to other, with a lot of good coming from it. I still have issues with the car sputtering while driving. It gets bad after 1-2 minutes of easy driving and high rpms don't help. I've replaced both cats but this did not help. Any suggestions?
Come to think of it, ever since having the interlock put in, I've had nothing but problems with electrical gremlins. Does anyone have experience with this?

Had a DUI many years back and the guy had about as many brain cells left as he had teeth.
I'll check the battery again and alternator to see if anything is faulty.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back