The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

car sounds like its running on 3 cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedfwdtsi

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2005
boost city, Wisconsin
ok last night we was coming home from BW3's and coming down the high way at around 60+mph. and the car started to sound like crap. like it was running on 3 cylinders so i finaly got it home and put in some new spark plugs NGK's and new spark plug wires and it started faster but still same problem any help please im about to just part out my talon and buy another non dsm

Are your RPMS looking funny when you rev it, or does it look normal?

I had the same problem as you except my car was running on 2-cyls. My transister pack went bad and was only sending signal to one coil. When that went, my tach was really sluggish and wouldnt move very well. Swapped in a spare and it fired right up.

nope rpms reading normal for what its doing

also cheack engine light has been on for maybe 2weeks now and i have a 90 so i dont think i have a transiter on mine i think thats 91+

make sure your plugs are gapped right.

are you leaking anything?

did you lose a gear from your tranny?

napkinthief said:
make sure your plugs are gapped right.

are you leaking anything?

did you lose a gear from your tranny?

i was leaking oil

ill cheack the cap but i think its right

and i still have all gears

boostedfwdtsi said:
also cheack engine light has been on for maybe 2weeks now and i have a 90 so i dont think i have a transiter on mine i think thats 91+
All years with the 4G63 have a power transistor module. It's different between '90 and 91+ but they thave them.

What the code? That usually a good first clue as to what's wrong.

boostedfwdtsi said:
ill cheack the cap
It's check. Just like on the button you should be clicking before the submit reply.

Steve

well if it does have the transistor unit could you tell me were it is

also could i have hurt the car driving it like this i know i ###### did but how bad ?

boostedfwdtsi said:
well if it does have the transistor unit could you tell me were it is?
On the drivers side of the intake manifold just like it is on the rest of the 1G 4G63's. Follow the harness coming off the coils to it.

Again, pulling the ECU code is important. You might be getting a error code for an injector since a bad coil or power transistor will usually cause the loss of two cylinders due to the way the ignition system waste spark pairs 1 & 4 and 2 & 3.

Steve

how do i pull the codes off the ecu my data logger wont read codes for some reason

what do i need to buy and how much also were to get it at thanks

If you logger can log I'd be surprised if it can't talk to the ECU to pull the error codes. What are you using?

The cheapest way to read the code is a 12v LED connected between pins 1(positive) and 12 (ground), second cheapest is a 12v piezo buzzer across the same pins, third is a analog volt meter.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/wayback/BradBauer/electrical/code.html

Steve

boostedfwdtsi said:
nope rpms reading normal for what its doing

i have a 90 laser it has one i would check your codes if its a 44 it may be your transistor does it have no power when mine went my car would not go up hills

I'm using TMO its the only free logger soft wear ive found for my laptop I'm just now learning how to use it I'm wanting to get a palm so its smaller ill ###### end up trading my laptop hopefully some time soon for one

do you know any other free ones for laptops

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back