The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A Car shifts at high RPM's...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge18

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
Miami, Florida
I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, but the car ('96 GS) shifts at high RPM's. It shifts at about 4,000RPM'S. Is this a problem or are all eclipses like that?

My 95 talon ESi does the same when I push the gas pedal a little too hard. Ease up on the gas and it will shift normally.

YOU GUYS ARE BABIES

THE HIGEST SHIFT WAS AT 7500
dont do it often but my friend shit his pants when he saw it :dsm: :poorme:

yo my car does the same thing and its maddd annoying....i got a 96 rs, just going regular city speed limits and merging with traffic im revvin at like 40000 every time, it wouldnt be sooo bad if it didnt result in terrible gas milage....and even if u ease up on the gas u can get shit for acceleration i start to get tailgaters.....aslo lemme know if you have this problem....going on the highway and u wanna pass someone so i hit the gas and it downshifts and revs to like 5500 and it sounds like ur engines gonna explode....lemme know

DSM Kid 96 said:
yo my car does the same thing and its maddd annoying....i got a 96 rs, just going regular city speed limits and merging with traffic im revvin at like 40000 every time, it wouldnt be sooo bad if it didnt result in terrible gas milage....and even if u ease up on the gas u can get shit for acceleration i start to get tailgaters.....aslo lemme know if you have this problem....going on the highway and u wanna pass someone so i hit the gas and it downshifts and revs to like 5500 and it sounds like ur engines gonna explode....lemme know
The TPS and TCU knows how slow you guys cars are so it keeps you in higher rpm so that you guys can keep up with traffic.

BTW, rs and bad gas milage? Please............

I get 16 city 19 highway

gstracr said:
YOU GUYS ARE BABIES

THE HIGEST SHIFT WAS AT 7500
dont do it often but my friend shit his pants when he saw it :dsm: :poorme:

They are not talking about driving wot driving. All of our cars will rev out that high when at wot, so whats your point? Your friend must drive a moped if he about shat his pants when he saw your car do that... :rolleyes: :toobad:

As for it shifting at 4k rpms on you other guys, that is just how high it has to shift to accelerate the amount you are wanting it to. like the guy above me said, although in a rude,uncalled for manner, the tcu tells the tranny when to shift based on the throttle position sensor. If you were trying to accelerate and it shifted earlier at that throttle position you car would bog down too much.

GILZTSIAWD said:
They are not talking about driving wot driving. All of our cars will rev out that high when at wot, so whats your point? Your friend must drive a moped if he about shat his pants when he saw your car do that... :rolleyes: :toobad:

As for it shifting at 4k rpms on you other guys, that is just how high it has to shift to accelerate the amount you are wanting it to. like the guy above me said, although in a rude,uncalled for manner, the tcu tells the tranny when to shift based on the throttle position sensor. If you were trying to accelerate and it shifted earlier at that throttle position you car would bog down too much.
hehe, I wasn't trying to be rude, just logical. The shift tables are developed by measuring the gear ratio's, power available through out rpm range, throttle position, driver comfort, and last but not least EPA. The car tries it's best to get good milage and provide efficiently it's available power, some times you might be pressing the peddle harder in a higher gear trying to accelerate and the tcu decides that by downshifting you could have more power and maybe even get better milage by not having to press the pedal as hard.

It's a very well thought out system that is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, my friends rs did the exact same and besides being loud from the revs the car actually drove pretty smoothly

definitiveno said:
hehe, I wasn't trying to be rude, just logical. The shift tables are developed by measuring the gear ratio's, power available through out rpm range, throttle position, driver comfort, and last but not least EPA. The car tries it's best to get good milage and provide efficiently it's available power, some times you might be pressing the peddle harder in a higher gear trying to accelerate band the tcu decides that by downshifting you could have more power and maybe even get better milage by not having to press the pedal as hard.

It's a very well thought out system that is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, my friends rs did the exact same and besides being loud from the revs the car actually drove pretty smoothly

Very good information! :thumb: you get a rep point for that...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back