The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car seems funny at top end

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White98ATGSX

Probationary Member
Jan 19, 2007
Wildwood, Florida
my car wont pass 120 why is that? and when it hit past 100 it climbs but REALLY slowly WHATS UP WITH THAT CRAP?????( i did this on a closed circuit) can someone input their knowledge and give me some advice please!!!:cry:

Maybe I'm just a little slow, but I can't think of a thing that would cause that without having a little more information. How is it acting "funny"? Does it CREEP to 120 or is it just slower than the initial climb to 100? Toss in some more description and I might be able to help ya

:laser:
Eric

yea it climbs to 100 just fine but after that like you said it creeps the rest till 120 and i know i got more alot more to go because im at like 5k rpm at 120 but i cant climb no more than. that do i have a limiter? or is my motor or tranny messed up?

are you going in a straight line or up a hill? Maybe your car is just slow LOL

Only the GST's came with a speed limiter (sigh..). Anyways though, if your still running the stock T-25 then that could be part of the problem. T-25's were built for acceleration and quick spool up, not for pulling real hard all the way to redline. This is why most people get rid of the T-25 in order to gain that top end power. This may not be the exact reason why but it could be a factor.

damn t-25 BS ok thanks that kinda makes sense but my friend has a 2nd gen gst 5speed and he doesnt have that problem...im not saying your wrong or anything but i just gotta make sure it the turbo cause then ima get rid of that sucka for good!!T-25 :notgood:

Yeah T-25 FTL. Well Im not saying that the turbo is the exact problem. Personally I havent had mine over a 100, because I have a slightly warped wheel and my car starts to wobble real bad around there. Woman I bought from ran over a curb apparently:notgood:.

damn t-25 BS ok thanks that kinda makes sense but my friend has a 2nd gen gst 5speed and he doesnt have that problem...im not saying your wrong or anything but i just gotta make sure it the turbo cause then ima get rid of that sucka for good!!T-25 :notgood:

The GST is geared different in 5th gear than an AWD car, and with the AWD you are turning more parts so you have more drag. I have a gst and a AWD the gst will walk away from the AWd on top end.

The GST is geared different in 5th gear than an AWD car, and with the AWD you are turning more parts so you have more drag. I have a gst and a AWD the gst will walk away from the AWd on top end.

ok that does makes sense but how bout if the car is AT does that have anything to do with anything, i mean is there another gsx AT that can pass 120 easily? i really need to know im mad:mad:

Auto transmission shouldn't have anything to do with it. And don't forget that some of the motor's power is lost over time through wear and tear. It could be a combination of an under-powered motor and the fact that you have awd that makes it accelerate sluggish at top.

guess its time for either a rebuild or a 6 bolt....damn....thanks guys really appreciate your help.....ima give the car a tune up see if it makes a lil difference...quick question what spark plugs and wires should i get...right now the car is stock minor bolt-ons

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233421

There's no set rules, but there are guidelines:
-For stock to near-stock cars, BPR6ES.
-For mildly modified to - heavily modified or high-boost, use BPR7ES.
-For heavily modified, high boost applications, use BPR8ES.
(NGK)
If plug fouling occurs, go one step hotter and monitor performance and results.

For wires: Accel, NGK, Magnecor, Taylors - they all work good

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back