The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Car runs poorly. Loss Power. Sounds Like LawnMower

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triggerx

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
So it pretty much happened out of know where honestly.
I just got done rebuilding this thing,timing belt, new seals all around, and a small 16g, but heres the weird part.
I had just started her up today and everything was pretty much perfect.
I go to work and come home a 6-8 hours later, try starting the car up and she runs like crap.
And no ones even touched the car.
When I start the car it barely idles for 30 seconds and dies. I can keep the car running if i give it gas though.

Sounds like a lawn mower honestly and there is major power loss. Car barely accelerates at all anymore.
Im assuming its running on less cylinders since it sounds like this, but why?

the cars not throwing any cel lights at all, new wires, and plugs, and gaskets pretty much all around. No noticeable vacuum leaks.

The only thing I can think of is maybe this ecu is toast? I just put it in here, but maybe the arizona heat got to it.IDK

You guys think it could
Be a problem with his distributer?

Our cars have what's called an ignition coil, or "coil pack". Auto manufacturers stopped putting distributors on cars about 25 years ago. Just thought you'd like to know...

Alright, it sounds like you sir have the exact same problem my car is having. I had a timing belt failure, after which I had my head rebuilt. I ran it fine for 200 miles over a week and a half with absolutely no issues. Got in it the next day, and it did the very thing you described. Still haven't found the problem after a month of searching. Planning on just taking it to Strictly Imports and paying them to troubleshoot it for me...

Much thanks you guys for pointing me in the right direction. Turns out it was the oil pump sprocket bolt that came lose. After that the timing in under the lower cover was all off.

Come on guys.. distributor... really? :ohdamn: This isn't a v8. My guess is you are not getting spark on 2 cylinders. Verify which cylinders you are getting a spark on or not. Do this by pulling one of the wires at a time and see which ones you pull change how the engine runs. It's more than likely going to be cylinders 1&4 that are not firing or 2&3 that are not. When you find out which 2 aren't firing then check back. My guess it is probably a coil pack that went bad on you. Could be numerous things though such as CAS, transistor, ECU, etc. I would start with the coil pack first since that is the easiest and cheapest to check and replace.

Damn bro i think thats why mines did the same OMG mines was driving awsome out of nowhere it felt like it hit somethin then i lost all power bearly wanted to move and when i checked the spark plugs the wires #1&2 were packing with oil hopefully replacing the gasket should fix it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back