The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

car running rich

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madjoker6000

Probationary Member
May 30, 2011
wallins, Kentucky
car is running rich no boost leaks, throttle body good, MAF good,throttle and idle air sensors are good and still dont know why car is running rich it had idle issue idling at 1500 but adjusted my CAS and dropped it down to about 900 but still runs rich. any help would be very appreciated.

big 16g turbo and a 255 fuel pump with stock regulator no wideband but has a stock eprom ecu. dont know what a CEL is. but no smoke just smells like burnt gas so i know it is running rich.no missfires or anything and i have adjusted sensors and everything only things i could think of is get a fuel pressure regulator and change 02 sensor to get it to run leaner.

big 16g turbo and a 255 fuel pump with stock regulator no wideband but has a stock eprom ecu. dont know what a CEL is. but no smoke just smells like burnt gas so i know it is running rich.no missfires or anything and i have adjusted sensors and everything only things i could think of is get a fuel pressure regulator and change 02 sensor to get it to run leaner.

CEL = Check Engine Light

You still haven't verified that it is in fact running rich. If the O2 sensor is cycling between 0v and 1v you are probably running just where you are supposed to be. But a wide band is really the only way to know for sure.

A tell-tale sign that it is running rich is a stumble or a miss at idle.

It is possible that you are over running your stock regulator with the 255.

Do you have a catalytic converter?

Also, DSMs run PIG rich from the factory when in open loop. 9.5:1 AFR.

Last edited:
255 fuel pump with stock regulator

This is probably the cause of your problem. Cars are also tuned on the rich side from the factory. Either get an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator or a 190 pump. A 190 will be plenty of fuel for the 16g. If you're still running stock injectors at stock boost, put the factory fuel pump back in there if you can. A 255 pump isn't really needed until you're over 400whp.

yeah check engine light stays on and i will see about getting a fuel regulator and no theres not a miss or anything in it it runs smooth just u can smell the extra fuel burn off and im probly only running about 10psi on my boost but thanks for the help u all and yeah i do still have the catalytic converter on it from the stock exhaust but im thinking about changing that out and yeah i still have the stock 450cc injectors in it. thanx for all the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back