The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car running hot on the highway

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott95GSX

Probationary Member
Jan 7, 2003
San_Jose_CA
My car runs hot on the highway if I'm doing around 80 MPH. The coolant temp gauge gets up to about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to the top. It hasn't gone into the danger area up top yet. It only does this when I'm on the highway doing atleast 75 or 80. I can drive around town all day, cruise on the highway at 65 or have it idling in stop and go traffic and it won't budge from the halfway mark. I've got a GSX, so my revs get up around ~3800 RPMS when I'm on the highway doing 80. I have a pretty long commute and I'm used to driving at that speed. I recently bought this car and it's done it the entire time I've had it.

I had my radiator flushed (and almost had the thermostat replaced, but they wanted too much money) to see if it would help and it didn't. I talked to the guys at the shop and they didn't have any suggestions... they said everything looked alright and it drove fine. One of them though it might have something to do with the turbo...

I can't think of anything else to try with it except cleaning the intercooler. Anybody have any suggestions?

The thermostat is an easy $8 fix. Go down to Kragen and get the thermostat and a Haynes manual and it will ealk you right through($12). You take off the hoses and unscrew 2 / 11 mm bolts......
My car ran real hot and real cold when I had thermostat problems. The radiator flush is just good maintenance.....
I don't have a turbo so I don't know if it is a problem with the intercooler......good luck

Yeah, I'm planning on doing the thermostat. Never installed a thermostat before though, and I'm not looking forward to draining the coolant. I don't think the thermostat is the problem though... If the thermostat was an issue then I should see temperature fluctuations in driving around town, not just on the highway at 75+ MPH. I was thinking it could possibly be the intercooler since my car is under more load at 80 MPH and seeing more boost (I believe it should still be in vacuum, although I don't have a real boost gauge yet). The extra heat I'm seeing is proportional to how high I'm revving it... I want to get it fixed before summer hits and the temps get higher.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back