The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car revs faster and pulls harder between 3k and 4k rpms and then drops back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTac

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2002
everywhere, Massachusetts
well i have a 98 gst (essentially stock) and here is my problem. while driving say in third gear and i step on the gas at around 3000 rpm the car will rev faster to 4000 and then fall back to say 3500. Its not like a clutch slipping either. the car revs faster and pulls harder then the rpms drop off to where they should be. according to the boost gauge the boost does not increase any once at full boost. can't notice through 1st and 2nd gear because they are shorter but in third, fourth, and fifth it does this all at about the same rpms. don't know whats wrong. the car feels like it is pulling harder for that short burst, you can hear the engine rev faster and the rpms go up and then drop back down. then the car continues as normal to redline.

any input on this would be great thanks,

I'm having this exact same problem on a lightly modified 1996 GSX. We just took the tranny off yesterday and replaced the clutch plate, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. It worked for about 100 miles, but once I started it up this morning and took it out it started having the symptoms again. The tranny appeared to be ok last night, but we didn't crack it open. The drive shafts were fine and in thier correct positions. Other than the previous clutch being toasted to the point where it sheered off and melted the rivets, nothing was exceptional about the tranny. Of course, it couldn't be the clutch because all of these components were replaced.

I'm extremely curious to hear anything you might find and I'll keep you up on my discoveries.

Ken

Originally posted by GSTac
while driving say in third gear and i step on the gas at around 3000 rpm the car will rev faster to 4000 and then fall back to say 3500. Its not like a clutch slipping either. the car revs faster and pulls harder then the rpms drop off to where they should be.

<i>Originally posted by GSTac </i>
<b>
the car feels like it is pulling harder for that short burst, you can hear the engine rev faster and the rpms go up and then drop back down. then the car continues as normal to redline.
</b>

I'm confused on this one...I think you're trying to say that from 3-4k it pulls and then anywhere above 4k it doesn't pull as hard? That would make sense since the stock 2g bov leaks but I don't get what your talking about when you say your going WOT and the rpms go down.

In my specific case, the "rpm jump" occurs *most noticably* at the lower gears because you're accellerating. Once I get up to speed in 4th or 5th, the RPMs drop back down when the speed stabilizes. If I hit the gas unexpectedly, the boost goes up and so do the RPMs, but the speed doesn't jump to match. It will slowly accellerate, but not in direct relation to the RPMs like it should.

When I press the clutch pedal down, it's as though it doesn't want to go all the way to the bottom. I have to push REALLY hard to get the engine to turn on and I can't push hard enough with just my hand.

I replaced the clutch set Friday night and it worked exactly like it should for about 100 miles until I got home. The next morning when I work up and took it out for a drive it started having the problems again.

A friend of mine who helped me replace the clutch thinks it might be an issue with the slave or master cylinder. I have eyeballed the path the clutch pedal takes, but I don't see any reason that it should feel like it's resisting.

Ken

Originally posted by 2GeNTSi

I'm confused on this one...I think you're trying to say that from 3-4k it pulls and then anywhere above 4k it doesn't pull as hard? That would make sense since the stock 2g bov leaks but I don't get what your talking about when you say your going WOT and the rpms go down.

okay here is an example, i will try to explain it better. saying i am in third gear at about 3k rpms and i push gas pedal to the floor (wot) ,and i hit full boost about 13psi(stock). now here is the wierd part, the engine will rev faster and louder,the car also feels like it is pulling harder as well(sounds normal as your reading this) however while its doing this the rpms quickly go 4k. once at 4k rpms the rpms begin to fall off and move down to 3.5k rpms at which point the rpms climb as normal till redline. its like if your were to push the clutch in for a split second and let it out, but the thing is the car pulls harder for that 1k rpms till it starts to fall off and it pulls like it used to till redline. so it doesn't feel like a clutch slipping and catching. maybe its ecu related or a sensor that is the problem. the car still has a few thousand miles till warranty is up so, i figure i will bring it in. i have no time to really diagnose the problem. i will keep yah posted when it gets fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back