The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Car Rev up at first start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMReviver

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Little Rock, Arkansas
At first start, every time i crank/turn it on it wants to rev to 3k and stays there for abit then come down. i did some research and some suggested that it might be idle control going bad. the car just dont want to idle. after it stays up at 3k and when it finally come down, it stalls. Dose anybody have a similiar problems and can anyone second the idle control going out?

At first start, every time i crank/turn it on it wants to rev to 3k and stays there for abit then come down. i did some research and some suggested that it might be idle control going bad. the car just dont want to idle. after it stays up at 3k and when it finally come down, it stalls. Dose anybody have a similiar problems and can anyone second the idle control going out?

I had that problem with my 1993 eclipse. My MAF was bad. I got a used one from a friend and I adjusted the BISS with the steps from vfaq.com and the problem seemed to be gone.

With as cold as it's been recently, a lot of things are happening to our vehicles. If I don't let my car warm up for 10 minutes before I drive it, I can't rev over 1700 on days when it's under 30* outside.

Check the wiring on your MAF, check your Throttle Body seals, and perform a Boost leak test.

would start at MAF like previously said and also FIAV on the bottom of your TB, coulb be going bad... its job is to adjust air flow for the temp outside and if it going bad it could be screwing everything up... though for the extreme of your rpm range i would try the MAF first.

I would think it's your ISC or IAC. Do you have any CEL?

Not really familiar with the abbreviation but i did took the idle air control and clean it out. the car started idle normal yesterday but i started again this evening and its doing the same thing. and i just heard some sort of lifter tick. I started a thread hoping to find answers to that one too

Maf is the next target i will going to check. but if it is... is the maf form 3g work on our cars? i heard that they are...

The MAF out of a 3000gt will fit and work in your DSM for sure. If you have a lifter tick its probably because a lifter has gone bad. If you or the previous owner didnt follow the installation steps for the lifters it's very common. Some people also call a lifter ticking a fallen lifter. Even brand new revised lifters can tick. Just go threw the recomended steps to bleed, and flush them for your install. One good part about replaceing them is that they can be replaced without having to take the cams out.

Keep us updated on the MAF situation if you get that 3kgt MAF for a test run.

The MAF out of a 3000gt will fit and work in your DSM for sure. If you have a lifter tick its probably because a lifter has gone bad. If you or the previous owner didnt follow the installation steps for the lifters it's very common. Some people also call a lifter ticking a fallen lifter. Even brand new revised lifters can tick. Just go threw the recomended steps to bleed, and flush them for your install. One good part about replaceing them is that they can be replaced without having to take the cams out.

Keep us updated on the MAF situation if you get that 3kgt MAF for a test run.

Yeah, ill go find 3gt and see if this will fix it. this is just one of may issues i am beginning to discover.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back