The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

car paint help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasteclispe

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 12, 2004
queens, New_York
hi i want to paint my car but i was told i need a paint gun and a compressor and stuff so my question is whats the difference between this
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43998&item=2470605492 and this spray gun http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...cts_2/Paint & Wall Coverings&MID=9876&pos=n13 what is better getting the compressor and buying the paint gun that goes with the compressor or should i buy a paint gun like whats shown in link 2??......please help im a noob when it comes to this stuff

The homedepot link didn't work, but I assume that is was a proper compressor with a large tank. The one you chose with a small tank will not work.. you will run out of air very quickly.

To paint properly you need to match the compressor with the type of gun that you will use. A real painters gun is HVLP (high volume, low pressure), so it uses a lot of air, but not very much pressure. Just be sure the compressor can cover the CFM of the gun and you should be good to go.

It is a better idea to just have it done. The shop I go to, as well as others, will have filtering systems to get any condensation and particles out of the air. If the air has moisture in it, the paint will not be right. Condensation is a pain to keep out of a compressor. Not as bad in colder weather, but still probably present. Just have it done right. You'll thank yourself for saving the smaller amount of cash now.

Is it the general concensus on this board that DIY work is great but painting is just too difficult? I dont see how painting your car is any more difficult than rebuilding an engine!? I mean, you need to realize that if its your first time niether will turn out perfect, but on the second and third try it'll just keep getting better. Just think, once you are comfortable doing it you can just paint it whenever you want for just the cost of the paint. Not to mention the $$$ youll save over the course of your car-owning life doing it yourself. I say do it if you are willing to do it over anover till you think it looks good. Practice makes perfect!

-Jerad :dsm:

9D9 MITSU RS said:
It is a better idea to just have it done. The shop I go to, as well as others, will have filtering systems to get any condensation and particles out of the air. If the air has moisture in it, the paint will not be right. Condensation is a pain to keep out of a compressor. Not as bad in colder weather, but still probably present. Just have it done right. You'll thank yourself for saving the smaller amount of cash now.

its easy to say take it to a shop. but here in ny the cheapest i found was 5000 for the whole car and i cant afford to pay that much. i might as well just buy another dsm. and maaco is around 1500 but ill keepmy car the way it is before i ever take it to maaco. thats y i want to know how to do it myself. it will save me a ton cause i need to paint 3 cars not just my dsm.

Home depot sells a air compressor kit with the tank, air guns, paint guns and some more stuff for pretty cheap. It's made by Husky. You can use the paint gun that comes with it, or you can buy the better gun kit by them, or one off ebay. That kit wiil have all that you need. The gun won't have the best spray pattern and atomization, but if you've never painted before you won't even notice.

lasteclispe said:
its easy to say take it to a shop. but here in ny the cheapest i found was 5000 for the whole car and i cant afford to pay that much. i might as well just buy another dsm. and maaco is around 1500 but ill keepmy car the way it is before i ever take it to maaco. thats y i want to know how to do it myself. it will save me a ton cause i need to paint 3 cars not just my dsm.

so long as you understand it's most likely gonna look as bad or worse than maaco (and that's being generous) i say go for it bro. though i don't have any experience in painting...i do know the most important part of ANY paintjob is the prep...take your time priming and sanding it...do that part to the best of your ability....really take your time. when you go to paint, just take your time....pm me with pics...i wanna see how it turns out! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back