The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Dussap

Probationary Member
Aug 24, 2020
Jacksonville, North_Carolina
Hey guys, bought a 2g a couple weeks back and she started to overheat, now I have made sure the fan are properly working, she shows coolant in the radiator plus I changed the thermostat today and I had her compression tested, she’s good on that. I also had her recently oil changed and am constantly checking the level of the oil and she’s good. As I drive the car, she starts to cool down and I usually notice it a lot better when I have the heat on, but when I’m at traffic lights the temp gauge rises and I really don’t know what it is, I need your help to get her properly working, any ideas?? I’m thinking water pump

Let's play nice.

Not everyone has tuning or logging devices. Plenty of people got along fine in the past without them which means people today can do the same thing. They are nice to have but not necessary or required, by any means. Stay on topic and follow the forum rules, a.k.a: Add Value - Be Respectful.

The stock gauge is more then adequate to judge if a car is over heating or not. Even though it's a broad range and not linear it's pretty easy to see that when it's in the hot zone coolant temps are usually around 220-230°. This is universal to all cars.

The stock gauge is more then adequate to judge if a car is over heating or not. Even though it's a broad range and not linear it's pretty easy to see that when it's in the hot zone coolant temps are usually around 220-230°. This is universal to all cars.

I have personally never diagnosed cars based on assumptions when the data was this easy to get. Its fine if that is just me.

You are assuming his gauge is working correctly, the needle isn't improperly indexed due to gauge face installation, and the range is 220-230° at a given location on the gauge face.

Guessing never hurt anyone I suppose, but I "feel" you guys are starting off on the wrong foot.

Good luck either way!

@rabenne I'm not sure what you're reading, but I never said that actual temperature wasn't important.

I believe the general point @spyderdrifter was trying to make is that many people on here assume that everyone else has a logging device - not just for this problem, but for a lot of problems posted. Especially for new members, one cannot expect them to have those tools or know how to use them if they do. That people have every tool that a seasoned DSMer, such as yourself, may have at his disposal is not a great assumption to make. And because someone may not currently have some of those tools is no reason they should give up and sell their car.

Now - for all: if content of your posts does not directly aim to help the OP or other related questions, expect your post to be modified or removed.

I recently had similar odd temperature behavior. I did a lot of the same tests and diagnostics. Fans cycled properly, coolant was flowing, radiator and heater core hoses all were pressurized and I fully burped the system. Temps would rise with I used boost or was in stop and go traffic on a hot day. They would only drop if I turned on the heat or AC. ECMlink showed peaks around 210-215, which is hot for my car with a large radiator and low temp TStat. It turned out that my almost new (but cheap parts store) radiator cap was not doing it's job. I put in a new Mishimoto cap and the fluctuations went away. I honestly had no idea a radiator cap could cause odd behavior like that. Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back