The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Car Overheated / Overheating / Overheats [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTRCOOL

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2002
Richmond_Va.
OVERHEATING? The issues and their solutions have remained the same- either you don't have enough cool air reaching the rad, there's a cooling system obstruction which is preventing coolant from circulating, or your head gasket has failed and is allowing coolant to be consumed or pushed away from the engine.

Discuss all possible overheating problems and solutions here.

OK,
I just left my house to go over to my GF's,and happen to look down and see my needle right before the red mark. This just happened out of nowhere. I stop the car as quickly as i can, and pour in some coolant(Coolant a little low). Still same thing. Welp im in the middle of the road, and HAD to get it home. Im only 5 min from my house. I decided to try and make it(I really had no other choice). Welp I drive no faster than 20mph, and the temp needle is BARELY into the red the whole way.And occasionaly to the left of it. Am I ok?? Do ya think any damage was done?? And im thinking either thermostat, or water pump. For each of those, whats a round about $$ figure to get replaced?? Any info you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit, why don't you have an aftermarket H2O temp gauge or a logger!!! :p (Just messin w/ ya). It's hard to say without knowing how hot you got the motor whether or not you could have done some damage. If I were you I'd replace the thermostat (a few bucks from any autoparts store) and see what happens. The WP will run you about $60. But try the therm first.

I know it was a stupid move to drive the car, i know MUCH better than that, but i REALLY had no other choice. How much is involved in changing the thermostat?? Is it pretty strightforward???

There are two bolts. Take out the old one, replace with the new one, throw in a new gasket and away you go. Just don't go crazy and overtighten the bolts. I did and it broke the thermostat housing and I had to get a new one. :(

I've actually overheated my 90 GSX a few times, but I've always been able to catch it before doing any serious damage. One time it was a bad thermostat, and the others was a lose radiator hose. From experience I can tell you that these cars are really resilient to over heating. I personally don't think you did permanent damage. Replace the thermostat, ask for a 180 degree, it will help keep your engine temps lower. Replacing the thermostat is straight forward, only two 12mm bolts. Remember to replace the thermostat housing gasket and do not over tighten the bolts.

Extreme

step one, pull the valve cover
step two get a mitsu manual and find out the torque specs on the head
step three, set the torque wrench to that spec
step four, check the torque in the right order
step five, replace thermostat
step six, flush the cooling system
step seven, drive it, not hard, if it even raises above normal, turn around and go home.

worst case, you blew a head gasket and warped the head.

simple case, bad thermo

Silent2g,
sounds like what I went through a few months ago. Thought my problem was the shitty stock cooling system when she overheated (not really, she got to 215 and I shut her down!). But $500++ later I found out it wasn't that. Although I do believe the Fluidyne has helped. Come to find out she was pushing coolant. Other than pushing coolant though you'd never know the car had a problem. I have even been racing her at the 1/8th mile track for the last 3 months (pushing coolant all the while). She's been running 8.00's@89 at 20psi. Not quite where she should be, but not too bad considering there's no telling how much power I lose when she starts to push the coolant. Compression hasn't changed since I noticed the problem either. She still pulls 190-194 psi solid across the board! Oil and coolant continue to look fine as well. I know it's the HG though. Must just be a pinhole leak somewhere. I just don't want to change it until I have the money to buy cams (don't want to pull the head twice:cry: )!

Hey......I posted this in the Newbie Forum, but it belongs here as well. To sum it up:

Girl I know's Talon - overheats - engine seazed? - I want to buy - try to find out whats wrong.

Here's more

I had a '69 H/O 442 that I bought with a siezed engine. I filled the cylinders with a mix of penetrating oil and marvel mystery oil and left it sitting for two months. It finally got to where I could turn the crank. All 8 cylinders need to be re-bored and the pistons were useless but the block survived. For the amount of work required and the fact that it may need a new engine, don't pay a penny more than $2500

people please help me out give me some feedback quick , today my 2g gst's pullie came out of its place and my car over heated and dont know how to check if the i blew the head gaskets can anyone give me there advice, the oil does not have any water spots and the only problem appears to be the pulley.:mad:

ok.....well now im thinking replace engine/tranny. I found a site that sells 4G63 J-spec engines with 5 speed tranny. 1600 is their price....not bad. The only thing im wondering is about changing the auto to 5 speed and how much work it will be if the engine is already being replaced. I will be taking it to a shop, considering i dont have the resources or time to do this myself.

So..............what do you guys think? :confused: I've been researching, but since Club DSM is down....its hard to find good info.

You need to get a compression gauge and test it. Remove all of the plugs, and test each cylinder. Your readings should all be within 10% of each other.

What pulley broke? the crank pulley? If your crank pulley came out of place then it will not turn any of your accessories (alternator, waterpump, power steering, A/C). This would explain why your car overheated. I've seen this happen on a few Mitsu cars before. The inside diameter of the pully/harmonic balancer splits away from the outside diameter. You probably don't have to worry about bent valves or broken head gaskets (that is if I'm correct) or anything.

thank ou very much mn this gets my worrie head correct man, and yeah it was thecrank pulley tat went and i believe that there was no broken head gaskets thank you for your help

Originally posted by DeroPGT
ok.....well now im thinking replace engine/tranny. I found a site that sells 4G63 J-spec engines with 5 speed tranny. 1600 is their price....not bad. The only thing im wondering is about changing the auto to 5 speed and how much work it will be if the engine is already being replaced. I will be taking it to a shop, considering i dont have the resources or time to do this myself.

So..............what do you guys think? :confused: I've been researching, but since Club DSM is down....its hard to find good info.

pls private me with the website? ^^;

the engine will prob need replacing as you thought, make sure abt the tranny as well.

The Auto to 5 speed conversion is a beeotch. Unless you're really familiar with cars, don't try it. Your ECU needs to be replaced, the cables need to be run, both halfshafts are brobably a different length, your clutch pedal will need to be mounted, there are loads of small things you have to do.

What do you mean the engine siezed? Like it won't even crank when you hit the starter? (belts won't turn at all) Or what? My gf overheated our 91 Laser RS (lower hose broke) and it died on her...Hasn't started since. The starter spins, and the belts turn perfectly with no noise..I don't think the engine's messed..just bad ignition.

hey.. my car has been over heating lately. it heats up to reg. temps, then will sit there like normal for 10 min to 20 min... then start to rise. kinda seems like im low on coolant, but i just put a new water pump in and i know its full... maybe i need to flush again.
What do you think??
thanks

You may need to replace the thermostat. I would do that before flushing again.

Later,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back