The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car Overheated / Overheating / Overheats [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTRCOOL

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2002
Richmond_Va.
OVERHEATING? The issues and their solutions have remained the same- either you don't have enough cool air reaching the rad, there's a cooling system obstruction which is preventing coolant from circulating, or your head gasket has failed and is allowing coolant to be consumed or pushed away from the engine.

Discuss all possible overheating problems and solutions here.

OK,
I just left my house to go over to my GF's,and happen to look down and see my needle right before the red mark. This just happened out of nowhere. I stop the car as quickly as i can, and pour in some coolant(Coolant a little low). Still same thing. Welp im in the middle of the road, and HAD to get it home. Im only 5 min from my house. I decided to try and make it(I really had no other choice). Welp I drive no faster than 20mph, and the temp needle is BARELY into the red the whole way.And occasionaly to the left of it. Am I ok?? Do ya think any damage was done?? And im thinking either thermostat, or water pump. For each of those, whats a round about $$ figure to get replaced?? Any info you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
are you losing coolant? your fans might not be coming on or leaves could be blocking your radiator. I just swapped my radiator out because the fins were broken and it was very corroded which was causing the same problem your having.

Remember when evaluating a relatively simple problem such as this, you are free to consult the entire interweb. A problem like this is very generic.

Check your coolant level, condition of radiator, any signs of head gasket problem, but it sounds like your water pump is at fault. Make sure to do the timing belt at the same time.

Need some help guys.. My car is overheating. I replaced the tstat and rad cap, got a mishimoto tstat and stant 1.1 cap. Replaced the radiator with a xline mishimoto. When I'm driving, I'm good for about 20 miles, the car heats up and she needle sits in the middle as it should, then after a little while, it climbs to 3/4 and drops back to half way. It does this a few times and then just pings out. Any ideas?

Help!!! My car is overheating. I replaced the tstat and rad cap, got a mishimoto tstat and stant 1.1 cap. Replaced the radiator with a xline mishimoto. When I'm driving, I'm good for about 20 miles, the car heats up and she needle sits in the middle as it should, then after a little while, it climbs to 3/4 and drops back to half way. It does this a few times and then just pings out. Any ideas?

Hello I'm new here and I was hoping some one could help me with this problem I'm having. I own a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST and I was told my turbo needed to be replaced so I took it to a different mechanic and he took it apart and he told me its perfectly fine so he checked around for anything else that could cause my turbo to lag but nothing came up. I got my car back it was running great but then the next day I don't know what happened it now sounds like a 70's Volkswagen beetle. I called my mechanic but he cant look at it till tomorrow because he is still in the process of moving. I just got don't checking the noise out for my self and it is coming from the cover that gets removed when replacing the turbo would anybody have any ideas what might be causing this to make my car sound so loud?

Hello I'm new here and I was hoping some one could help me with this problem I'm having. I own a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST and I was told my turbo needed to be replaced so I took it to a different mechanic and he took it apart and he told me its perfectly fine so he checked around for anything else that could cause my turbo to lag but nothing came up. I got my car back it was running great but then the next day I don't know what happened it now sounds like a 70's Volkswagen beetle. I called my mechanic but he cant look at it till tomorrow because he is still in the process of moving. I just got don't checking the noise out for my self and it is coming from the cover that gets removed when replacing the turbo would anybody have any ideas what might be causing this to make my car sound so loud?
Ok so im guessing this is your first turbo car cause all turbo's "lag", now this noise you speak of you got to to be a little more in depth with your description, sound like you have a exhaust leak . (ALSO YOU ARE IN THE OVER HEATING THREAD). You might want to post this in Tech.

Last edited:
my 95 eclipse gs is overheating but only when sitting in traffic and i have run out of ideas. I have changed the relays, the thermostat,the ETC and even replaced the passenger side fan. the fan on the driver side kicks on just fine but i cant seem to get the passenger side radiator fan to kick on. should i just put it to a switch or is there something i have not tried yet?

this is my daily driver so no turbo . its a brand new water pump and the coolant line looks great

double check the seal on the radiator cap. If its dry rotted or cut it could prevent the radiator from holding pressure and opening the thermostat.

If this is only happnening at a standstill then I'd more likely say this is a fan issue, though you certainly may have a fan issue plus something else contributing.

Are you using stock fans or aftermarket, and if the latter tell us more about them, like brand, model, push/pull, verified they actually are pushing/pulling the right direction, rated CFM, pics of how they are mounted... One fan should be fine in general to keep your car cool if the a/c isn't running. Does the car cool down if you blast the heat?

i still don't know what was causing the issue. I tried everything, I just ended up wiring it to a switch.

ok so im having an odd issue:banghead:....car runs and drives great idles perfectly at 900 rpm..around town the temp is right were its supposed to be i can come to a stop light and its stays normal.. yesterday i let it idle for 30 min at a stand still in my driveway and it didnt heat up one bit...but as soon as i get on the highways for about 15 of cruising at 65 mph the temp starts to rise as i slow down it goes down back to normal.ive got the fan wired straight to my ac button..coolant is topped off.oil is fresh so its not mixing some im assuming it cant be a headgasket issue..:confused:im in need of some assistance could it be my thermostat or the guy i got the car from said the fmic blocks alot of the air flow????

You answered it: You need to duct air and funnel it so it doesnt go around your radiator. Even using aluminum hvac tape to seal the fmic,condenser, and radiator will do the job just fine. I used to run hot on hwy, after a little tape and ducting even on hot days at 75mph it wont go above 200F

I'm posting this for a friend. He just bought the car (97 gst) and we drove it home at night and it was fine. Next day he drove it during the day and it started to over heat. So he changed the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. He topped it off and went to get on the highway he hit over 60 and the temp went up. Dropped speed and it went down. Anytime he drives under 60 or at night it runs at correct temperature but as soon as he goes over 60 during the day it starts to over heat. Fans are kicking on. Next thing we are thinking of doing is a new radiator and hoses to see if that fixes it. Any ideas on what it could be?

Your mod list is kind of lacking info/sounds too generic (headers?). Are you running a FMIC, or stock sidemount? Do you happen to notice if it over-heats with A/C on or off? Also, when was the last time the water pump/timing belt change on the car?

Make sure your not loosing coolant from any worn out hoses.

Your mod list is kind of lacking info/sounds too generic (headers?). Are you running a FMIC, or stock sidemount? Do you happen to notice if it over-heats with A/C on or off? Also, when was the last time the water pump/timing belt change on the car?

Make sure your not loosing coolant from any worn out hoses.

Completely stock besides fmic. I honestly couldn't tell u when that was changed. Just bought the car last weekend and really haven't checked its on our to do list.

Try adding some royal purple super ice in the mean time until you can figure out the culprit. I had a slightly broken radiator, wasn't leaking that much but it was LEAKING! I ran it for like 3 weeks thx to the purple ice and just topping it off with water every couple days LOL.

I would do the simple one's first. Replace the radiator cap. When they go bad sometimes they will allow coolant to go to the reservoir when it gets warm yet when it cools down it will not allow coolant to go back to the engine.

+1 on the FMIC. Very well could be the problem.

Lower degree thermostat. Yes some may say it's a band aid fix but is much better than burning up an engine while you get it figured out.

Yep, it's the inter cooler no doubt. I replaced everything cooling related. It is the same symptoms. On freeway speeds 55 or so over it doesn't over heat but hits a little high above the medium mark. When I come back to street speed say 40 or so. It's all good.

You are seeing this because at that speed our fans shut off unless you are over 50mph and over 210 deg. The factory ducting channels air at that speed through the condenser and radiator. When you put a FMIC in front of those the air doesn't move as needed, you will need to duct air through the FMIC then through your condenser and radiator. I also had to mod my fans to stay on med at all times and high/med when the a/c compressor kicks on being in FL. This is how and when the fans kick on/off hope this helps. Post up what your actual temps are if you can.

Attachments

• fan speeds.jpg
    fan speeds.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 83
OK so I am new to the 1gs. But I am having a problem with my coolant disappearing. I did a coolant pressure test and fixed 2 leaks. So now it holds pressure. But still coolant disappearing. So now I am at the point where I am thinking head gasket but the oil looks fine. There is no signs of coolant in it. I don't know if its related to overheating or not. Only one fan is working but ive dealt with cars over heating before but never seen it disappear. I did a compression test and here are the results. Im going to do a BLT and another compression test. Results from timing cover over to the left.

120 110 105 120

Im going to do another wet test. If someone can chime in and maybe point me in the correct direction of maybe testing fan stuff?

A blown head gasket won't always cause water and oil to mix. You can have a leak straight to the water jacket, which will let the cylinder suck in water and then push hot combustion gasses back into the cooling system. The result is loss of coolant and overheating. Also, a blown head gasket doesn't always show up during a compression test. The best thing to do next would be a cylinder leak down test.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back