The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Car not starting! Crank sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaimera086

Probationary Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texarkana, Arkansas
1999 Eclipse 2.0 DOHC N/T
My car recently died while I was driving home. Pulled it home and discovered it wasn't firing. Changed my cam sensor, and now its firing but still wont start. My coil pack seems to be fine. It fires at first then stops after about 2 revolutions. I was wondering could this be crank sensor? I find it hard to believe that both sensors went bad at once, but I guess anythings possible. But I'm short on money and really want to make sure its the crank sensor before mindlessly changing it.
My thoughts are that with the new cam sensor, it fires, but then quits because it doesnt receive signal from the crank sensor.
Any ideas? Kinda new the DSM scene, and cars in general. Any help is greatly appreciated.

check for codes mine showed crank sensor when it was, but the water temp sensor didn't pop a light and will also cause a no start.

If you can get a hold of a cheap scan tool. U should look up RPM n see if its constant when you crank. When you crank it, you should see about 100-200 rpms as long as your cranking the car, that will tell you if your crank sensor is ok.

Ill try all the suggestions above, and get back to yall with the results. Also gonna use multimeter to find out if im getting any voltage.
Thanks for every one who's helped

Actually, my obd-2 port doesnt reigster with the scanner that autozone used. Don't know if its not getting power or what but its says no connection when scanner is in. Checked fuses, and all check out so I'm not actually sure what to do about scanning the car

I busted a belt on my Eclipse and it took out my crank position sensor and it wouldn't even turn over, not even a single revolution of the engine... Is your check engine light on? Your best guess would be checking out those codes fist. Hope you are back up and running soon. =))

Is the tach doing anything when you crank it? Any lights? Checked timing? I would go with the check list that 95dsmevo3 posted and I"m sure you will find the problem. DONT just throw parts at it

Got everything going good! Turned out to be my idler and tensioner pulley both went bad at once, and I guess somehow messed up my cam sensor. Car jumped time about a tooth. Replaced cam sensor, got new pulleys and belt and it started right up. Check engine light has been on since I got the car, and since OBD-2 port isn't reading I've never been able to check codes. Now the car stalls when going from moving to a stop. Guessing IAC valve might be to blame. But thanks for all the help everyone gave and I'm gonna look into giving my OBD-2 a look and seeing if I can't do something about it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back