The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Car not running well after 20g install..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63maniak

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2007
Miami, Florida
Hello im a new menber on th forum.
I buy a 95 completely stock gst and cause it has a blown turbo i decide to make the upgrade to the 20g

we install a 20g on the stock manifold, and punishment racing short route fmic, hks blow off, 3 inch downpipe complete 3 inch complete exhaust and a walbro fuel pump.

I dont know if probably the car will need some tuning but i feel like the car is not performing wheel for the mods you dont feel the kick of the turbo on and after 2nd gear feels very lazy...

Please let me know what you think, i think ill maybe have to tuned for the amount of things modded...

Car is running 10 psi

Do yourself a favor and follow the upgrade path. You can't just slap a big turbo on a stock car and expect anything except disappointment. Supporting mods first. For know you could either buy and tuner (dsmlink v3lite, or Apexi SAFS2) and a logger (included with dsmlink) and ~850 fuel injectors OR get a 14b from the classifieds for about $100 shipped. Or you can suck it up with your 20g at 10 psi.

^ I was just about to say that. With that big of a turbo 10psi is nothing. Like advised above turn the boost up if you want to feel it.But with stock internals and etc that would not be a good idea without no tuning device. I would say get an evo3 and have fun...

Hello
thanks fro the super fast replys.

I know the 20g is not pushing a lot but that is for starts and we are planning to open the engine and i dont want to buy 2 turbos in the meanwhile i will have to suck it up....

Just want to know if besides that having a big turbo any other factor maybe influencing the problem....

I have sitting in the garage a set of bc 280 camshafts, aem ems, all the suporting mods for the shafts like retainers etc...

Just im triying to save some more for the internals and the trip to the tuner...
But what you guys think about those camshafts as well... For a 20g and all the mentiones above.
Thanks

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLYS....

:hellyeah:

You said you are running a Walbro fuel pump but never said what size and if your are running a AFPR. I would also suggest looking at the upgrade paths on here and go from there. If you upgrade somethings without upgrading others, you are only gonna hurt the performance and life of your car.

i have a walbro 255 fuel pum and a aem fuel rail wiht a fuelab fpr with gauge
the fuel presure is aroun 30 psi

Hello im a new menber on th forum.
I buy a 95 completely stock gst and cause it has a blown turbo i decide to make the upgrade to the 20g

we install a 20g on the stock manifold, and punishment racing short route fmic, hks blow off, 3 inch downpipe complete 3 inch complete exhaust and a walbro fuel pump.

I dont know if probably the car will need some tuning but i feel like the car is not performing wheel for the mods you dont feel the kick of the turbo on and after 2nd gear feels very lazy...

Please let me know what you think, i think ill maybe have to tuned for the amount of things modded...

Car is running 10 psi

and what about injectors? For you to turn up the boost so you are happy you will definitely need them!

ill trade you my evo3 for your 20g!

I'll trade my small 16g for it? Great lil turbo too especially for those mods. I have very similar :sneaky:

haha gata love how we all can be so friendly LOL

in that case i have an e316g fully ported with SS o2 housing LOL:p if you want to trade i would be open ears LOL.

in any case the three turbos we want to trade you are all excellent turbos for the mods you got and especially for a beginner dsmer.:thumb: *cough* but mines better *cough* hahaha

yeah you definitely need to check on that fuel pressure and increase the boost but in order to do so youll need bigger injectors and if you plan on making any real power with that 20g then dsm link is thee choice for anything bigger than 560cc
anything smaller and you can go with a piggy back system.:thumb:

so do you have any way of tunning and any way of monitoring/ data loging??? you really need at least a Wideband and a GM MAF and Trans, or AFC, the first thing i did to my car even when it was stock was Wideband and re-tune, but yea definetly sounds like you need some more fuel and injectors, dont be afraid to give it to much fuel, that will only make it lose power, no enough will cause knock and then engine goes BOOM!!!, so really get a wideband o2 sensor and controller and watch those A/F ratios, and dont go cheap and get a narrow band o2 guage, that shit sucks!!!

haha gata love how we all can be so friendly LOL

in that case i have an e316g fully ported with SS o2 housing LOL:p if you want to trade i would be open ears LOL.

in any case the three turbos we want to trade you are all excellent turbos for the mods you got and especially for a beginner dsmer.:thumb: *cough* but mines better *cough* hahaha

yeah you definitely need to check on that fuel pressure and increase the boost but in order to do so youll need bigger injectors and if you plan on making any real power with that 20g then dsm link is thee choice for anything bigger than 560cc
anything smaller and you can go with a piggy back system.:thumb:

But with a 20g, you dont really want to run 560cc and a piggy back 560cc injectors can be picked up for around the same price as 1000cc injectors....but link is never cheap

you can always get a chip and still use AFC but thats not the point im just advising him if his gana go cheap to not expect to tune well with an AFC and anything larger than 560 is all.

Hello
thanks fro the super fast replys.

I know the 20g is not pushing a lot but that is for starts and we are planning to open the engine and i dont want to buy 2 turbos in the meanwhile i will have to suck it up....

Just want to know if besides that having a big turbo any other factor maybe influencing the problem....

I have sitting in the garage a set of bc 280 camshafts, aem ems, all the suporting mods for the shafts like retainers etc...

Just im triying to save some more for the internals and the trip to the tuner...
But what you guys think about those camshafts as well... For a 20g and all the mentiones above.
Thanks

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLYS....

:hellyeah:

if you guys didnt see in this post he already said he has aem ems, just hasnt gotten it installed yet. so he deff isnt going the cheap route.if you plan on building it and have 280s and aem ems and everything else you im sure you will want to go with something bigger and better than a 20g:thumb:

AEM ems installed last week, aem wideband installed last week, we also manage to install a set of 720cc injectors, and we raise the boost controller to 18 psi after a complete weekend of tunnig the cars is extremely fast and reliable hopes don't goes kaput at those psi...

thanks for the help and replys...

Even if it runs fine don't forget to do a boost leak test! I remember 18psi on my 20g... it was alright but man they really come alive after 22psi or so. I was ~270-280whp @ 18psi on my 20g with a boost leak and no cams.

yes will be performing a leak donw test shortly im concer tht maybe i can blow the headgasket if i squeexe too much boost, i just order a cometic unit for a plan b, or when rebuilt the engine.

thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back