The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Car makes odd noise when hitting bumps and truning wheel (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nmmz_frRIT8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nmmz_frRIT8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

At first i thought it was just because of the weather change, but it stayed all throughout winter. Ive read other posts, but never found a sollution. Has anyone else had this probelm?

im pretty sure (but i could be wrong) is your strut mount bushing thats gone man. but also check the ball joint as said above.

When one of the lower arm balljoints went out it started to make a metal grinding noise aswell. Not as consistent as how it sounds on this video though.

There was a recall on our balljoints. There's a merged thread about it and a few horror stories.

Well as far as taking the wheel off and getting a friends help goes, i jacked it up and got my mom to trun the wheel but apparently it only makes the sound when stress is put on the bad part whatever it may be cause it made no noise or anything when on a jack. I lubed every joint and or lubable thing i could find under there and the problem still persists... thanks for all the replies.

I'd bet strut mounts too. has the recall been done on your ball joints?

ball joint or tie rod end. Fords do it all the time. you can confirm it by jacking up the front of the car and removing the wheel. then you can remove the tie rod from the spindle. turn the spindle back and forth. if it still makes noise its the ball joint and if it goes away its the tie rod end.

ball joint or tie rod end. Fords do it all the time. you can confirm it by jacking up the front of the car and removing the wheel. then you can remove the tie rod from the spindle. turn the spindle back and forth. if it still makes noise its the ball joint and if it goes away its the tie rod end.

When i have it jacked up it doesnt make the noise. Ive taken the wheel off 3 times already and everytime it does the same.

I can almost guarantee that it is the tie rod end. Mine is doing the same exact thing right now. There is probably a bad boot on it. The stock tie rod ends don't have a grease zerk to reload grease into it, mine cracked and the grease on the boot leaked out. Instead of the 1-2 inches of space there is nothing because the grease leaked out thus causing the issue. The scraping sounds like absolute crap. this is an easy fix and you can go online which I will give you the website if you want it. It will be $26 dollars thats with free shipping to get a new one. maybe take a photo and I can confirm this or not but with these older cars you always have to replace at one point. thanks.

by the way if your a Nube at car repair i can give you a step by step with my own photos on how to fix this issue, assuming that you dont know how to do it and that the tie rod end is the issue. could also be tie rods, struts, etc.

And also, I had the same issue only when pressure is applied it does this. The weight of the car and possibly yourself will add to the issue. when it is jacked I can turn the wheel without any noise. Sometimes it makes a squeel but like I said it would make sense because the pressure is much less on a jack.

Im having the same exact problem, and since i just had a complete front end rebuild, tie rods, ball joints ect, im almost positive its due to bad struts, i know mine are blown and it was the only thing not replaced.

i had THE SAME PROBLEM
and its starts to do that in the winter, i took the wheel off and i found that the left control arm bushing was crack :/
so my problem was left control arm :)
so just take the wheel off and look for crack bushing

:hellyeah:

I replaced my tie rod end and the issue stopped for a short time but it is now doing it again. Bushings are my next thing, I have a crack in one. This is the issue because the only two things I didnt replace when I redid the suspension was the tie rod ends and the bushings. this I am doing today and will let you know if the bushings work.

hey i was still having the problem, it kept coming back and I wasnt sure as to why. I have finally found the solution. The lower lateral control arm has a ball joint at the end of it. This joint has been recalled for many models because dirt can get into the boot and cause it to mess up, among other things. Mine has a horrible tear and the joint itself was destroyed. This is where the issue came to be. The squealing can be solved by one of two things. I believe that if it is just that ball joint, for around $42 online at RockAuto Auto Parts you can buy a new joint. This is with shipping so that is the final price you pay. It may be more beneficial to just replace the whole piece, the car probably needs it anyway. This can run a little more, the cheapest I did find was $85 on eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. Either way will most likely fix that problem. Another thing you must do is get that front end aligned. Once that part is fixed it will be crucial to do so. I suggest that you look into new struts as well for that front end. This can improve the ride greatly. Let me know if you get it fixed, I replaced mine and tomorrow morning I will be getting my car aligned. This is with new tie rod ends, bushings, tires, struts, etc. Anyway thanks and keep us posted.

-Jared

hey i was still having the problem, it kept coming back and I wasnt sure as to why. I have finally found the solution. The lower lateral control arm has a ball joint at the end of it. This joint has been recalled for many models because dirt can get into the boot and cause it to mess up, among other things. Mine has a horrible tear and the joint itself was destroyed. This is where the issue came to be. The squealing can be solved by one of two things. I believe that if it is just that ball joint, for around $42 online at RockAuto Auto Parts you can buy a new joint. This is with shipping so that is the final price you pay. It may be more beneficial to just replace the whole piece, the car probably needs it anyway. This can run a little more, the cheapest I did find was $85 on eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. Either way will most likely fix that problem. Another thing you must do is get that front end aligned. Once that part is fixed it will be crucial to do so. I suggest that you look into new struts as well for that front end. This can improve the ride greatly. Let me know if you get it fixed, I replaced mine and tomorrow morning I will be getting my car aligned. This is with new tie rod ends, bushings, tires, struts, etc. Anyway thanks and keep us posted.

-Jared

I'm sorry you spent so much. It's either free from the dealer, incl. install if you're under recall or you can get the OEM part for like $35 and install it yourself.
And I mean the entire arm AND balljoint, not just a portion.

I had the same problem with my car earlier this week. It was the lower ball joint(lower control arm) , the boot was crack and it ended up making the same noise.

hey guys thanks for the clarification. The control arms need replacements. you can repace the boot on the ball joint however the best thing to do is just replace the entire control arm because with a bad boot it will wear the ball joint. As for the bushings honestly I will say that it is most likely not. Many times a bushing will be very touchy, the sound will come and go and come and go regardless of temperature. This sound is high, in the upper area and also it is from turning or going over bumps. I had the exact same issue but I have now fixed it. My car sounded identical to yours. The entire upper control arms needs replacement. This is not a huge deal go online to find it. The reason it stops once jacked is because the upper ball joint has that relieved pressure, thus making the noise stop. Weather can also have an impact. Oil, grease, etc. tends to have different viscosity and what not and thus can become almost less fluid in the winter than in the summer, or when it is warm. If your joint is low on grease or without it during the cold times it will sound worse because of this, but during the summer it will not be as bad. That sound means that your also ruining the ball joint itself. This will lead to a dangerous situation if not replaced. I will post pics tonight of how this looks. I added grease zerks because my boot was not torn, just low and this will make is cheaper in the long run. Trust me go to a junk yard and spend 30-40 dollars. Go home put a grease zerk in the joint assuming it is in good condition and make sure there is plenty of grease as I did. This will fix that issue. To remove the control arm just lift the hood and unscrew the two nuts that sit on the strut tower and the nut on the arm itself. Reassembly is also simple. thanks

jared.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back