The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Car loses alot of power in third gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992awdlaser

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2004
Wallace, North_Carolina
My car loses alot of power going into third from second. It is like going from second to fourth in any other car. Does anybody else have this problem. And does anybody know why it would be doing this.

1992awdlaser said:
My car loses alot of power going into third from second. It is like going from second to fourth in any other car. Does anybody else have this problem. And does anybody know why it would be doing this.

Clutch could be bad/slipping. Try a pull from 2500RPM+ in 4th gear and see if your engine revs climb but the car doesn't accelerate.

Another thought is fuel cut, but you don't mention what boost level you are running.

DSM90AWD said:
Clutch could be bad/slipping. Try a pull from 2500RPM+ in 4th gear and see if your engine revs climb but the car doesn't accelerate.

Another thought is fuel cut, but you don't mention what boost level you are running.
The clutch is fine, It was just replaced and I checked to see if it was slipping the way you said to. I am running 14 pounds of boost so I don't think it is fuel cut. That is what the autometer guage says just to let you know I am not looking at the stock boost guage.

I have done a boost leek test a couple of days ago and it held 20psi for about 1.5 minutes. So I don't think that is the problem. I think it might be the cat. I know my profile says I have a 3" test pipe, and I do, but none of the exhaust parts are on the car yet.

what rpm are you shifting at and what rpm does it end up in third....
(i hate the stock gauge, it pins at 14... i was hoping it would just spin around in circles once you passed like 20 psi...anyone know how to make the gauge not pin at 14 so it just keeps spinning.. that would be sweet...)

have you done a boost leak with water or some liquid in the pipe... water finds leaks really well... LOOK FOR DA BUBBLES...(o sorry defient, the.....not da....)

tstkl said:
what rpm are you shifting at and what rpm does it end up in third....
(i hate the stock gauge, it pins at 14... i was hoping it would just spin around in circles once you passed like 20 psi...anyone know how to make the gauge not pin at 14 so it just keeps spinning.. that would be sweet...)

have you done a boost leak with water or some liquid in the pipe... water finds leaks really well... LOOK FOR DA BUBBLES...(o sorry defient, the.....not da....)
I shift at 6200 rpm I am not sure what I am at when I get into third though. But that shouldn't matter because it feels allot slower than it should be all the way till 6200 rpm, not just at a certain point. And no I didn't do a boost leak test with any type of liquid. Oh and boost is at 14 psi through the whole gear.

Could be your knock sensor is picking something up, either drivetrain noise from the shift or real cylinder knock (running too rich/lean).

Some other thoughts: CatCon could be obstructed, exhaust manifold gasket leak, fuel filter clogged, intake leak (i.e. between compressor inlet and MAS allowing in unmetered air).

I'd suggest picking up one of those 1G eBay datalogger setups ($20-35 for cable and software for PBA or laptop) so can diagnose what is going on when your car is "sluggish" and to retrieve any CELs :dsm:

One thing I know is there is no codes in the computer. I know this because I got my friend that works for goodyear to hook my car up to a $8000 snapon scanner.

DSM90AWD said:
Could be your knock sensor is picking something up, either drivetrain noise from the shift or real cylinder knock (running too rich/lean).

Some other thoughts: CatCon could be obstructed, exhaust manifold gasket leak, fuel filter clogged, intake leak (i.e. between compressor inlet and MAS allowing in unmetered air).

I'd suggest picking up one of those 1G eBay datalogger setups ($20-35 for cable and software for PBA or laptop) so can diagnose what is going on when your car is "sluggish" and to retrieve any CELs :dsm:
I think it's exaclt what DSM90AWD said. I think your car may be pulling timing due to knock.
The intake leak is doubtful though.
Clogged cat/fuel filter yes maybe. Possibly a pre-turbo exhaust leak.
A datalogger will help us better diagnose the problem.

Sounds like knock, or Phantom Knock or could be a faulty knock sensor. Most likely one of the first 2.

Cody

ddavisaf said:
Could be? It is... ROFL
Well I just ordered the atr exhaust manifold. We will see if it fixes it or not. I wanted to try this manifold out anyway and I have heard nothing about it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back