The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car keeps dying

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g9s7x

Probationary Member
Jun 8, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
hey guys i have a 97 gsx with 36,000 on it and in july i had to replace the alternator and battery and alternator belt. well now its december and i was driving around the other day and my radio and lights started cuttin out then i parked the car at my apt and now it wont start. so i jumped it and it ran great all day yesterday now i get into it today to go to class and i turn it and the accesories turn on but it wont start all i hear is a loud clicking sound i was just looking for help bc i really need my car to be fixed soon and i dont wanna just take it to the dealer and get ripped off . sorry for the long post

Battery my friend! I had a crappy canadian tire battery here in canada and the lights would come on but the car wouldn't turn over. I checked voltage, it was great at like 13volts.

I took the battery back, they charged it for me and car started fine.. i left it over night same problem. I said screw them and bought me an Interstate battery and no problems since.

A battery has voltage and amperage, the voltage powers accessories but uses amperage to turn the car over, the clicking noise you were hearing was the starting using what ever little amps the battery was pushing over.

The odds are a battery will go before the alternator will, so start with checking the battery =]

Good Luck.

Sorry, forgot to add. You should do an AVR test (alternator test) Take it to any Auto Parts store and they should be able to do that test for you for free. It could also be your alternator not charging your battery properly, if both alternator and battery are good, then try to check the ground on the alternator.

Originally posted by g9s7x
what would cause a battery to go dead in like 6months?

Honestly, I have no idea, but it happened to mine and since the voltage keeps checking out ok they refuse to give me a new one.. they are messed up! Interstate has the best warranty i beleive and is over all the best battery

it may be possible that you have a parasitic draw on the battery. something may be staying on after you shut off the car. make sure that all of your interior lights go out when you shut the doors. just a suggestions. i can't remeber if there is a light in the glove box or not, but if there is and it stays on it can draw enough to kill the battery.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back