The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Car keeps dying...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19GS-t97

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2005
Barnegat, New_Jersey
Ok so as im slowing down i put the car in nuetral and if im at say 3500 or above and let off the gas and just let the car cruise in nuetral the rpms will drop as usual, but lately as it gets down to idle range itll sometimes drop to like 200 and then "bounce" back up and catch itself, then be fine. Also today the car died on me when i was at about 4k in first and shifted to second with my clutch pedal still in, going around a turn. So is there somethin to look at, or should i just keep the car in gear until i stop.

this problem only happens when i let off the gas at high rpms

1. Is your profile updated?

2. Are you venting?

3. Check for boost/vacuum leaks.

4. Check the ISC then pull the ECU and do the smell test.

I have the act flywheel and I don't have this problem.

oldman said:

2. Are you venting?

In the past I've seen alot of problems with the lightened flywheel causing cars to die out. However you're right. Never jump to conclusions. It may, or may not be the case here.

I did some research... and found out that the speed sensor and ISC can cause this problem alot as well. Reason being is they're not telling the ECU that the car is at idle conditions and will let it drop below normal before it figures it out.

So yeah. First thing I would check would be ISC and speed sensor. Then go from there.

oldman said:

2. Are you venting?

profile is updated, im am recirc'd, no leaks, ill try the isc thing in a couple of days since im leaving for north carolina to go to college today...

thanks everyone for the responses.. :dsm:

Im havin the same prob.. i replaced the ISC but no change.. turned up the idle a bit but it still drops down real low n sometimes itll stal.. i cant find a leak n e where .. i gotta turbo xs type H bov and i cant recirculate... i have the xact 12lb flywheel but my car has been doin this even before i put that in. n e ideas???

Get a different BOV until you're ready to properly vent to the atmosphere.

It does sound like a vacumn leak, use a soapy spray and spray it on the vacumn line connections. A leak in gas line pressure can also cause this problem (according to my experience and my mechanic). Have replaced the fuel pump recently?

finally fixed... i took that turbo XS off and put my stock one on and vented it.. also cleaend out my intake pipe and my filter.. runs like a dream..xcept for the part where it barely blows off.. and that BOV leaks like no other since im runnin 5 over stock.. im tryin to find a GReddy type S.. i kno they quit makin em but the new RS's r junk..anyone kno where i can still getta type S???

I thought you were venting because you couldn't reciculate the TurboXS? :confused:

If all you're interested is the sound of your BOV, please do a search on your own as there are probably thousands of BOV venting threads. Stay on topic please.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back