The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Car just died on the highway

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphillips91

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2002
Baltimore_MD
Heres the deal. Late one night I let my friend drive (big mistake there , but whats done is done) I have my car running 16 psi, 550 cc injectors, manual boost controllers and walbro fuel pump along with a 2.5 inch catback exhaust, hks intake and some suspension work done.

Here is what happened. My other friend has a mustang and we were side by side on the highway doing about 60 mph, not racing or anything. My friend is driving messing around with him and my friend in his mustang guns it. So my friend takes off too, well my friend did something he I have never seen him do before. He was in 5th gear and dropped down, but instead of going into 4th He ####ed up and missed it and hit 2nd or something and I think he over revved the motor but Im not sure. Anyway 1/4 mile up the road the car just dies, no power or nothing it just cut off. The lights and electrical still worked and all but it wouldnt go nowhere. We pull over and try to start the car up, no go. It turning over but will not fire.

At this point Im thinking something is seriously screweed up. It was late and dark and my flashlights batteries were dead so Im waiting to check it out tomorrow morning.

I think, he blew a seal or something. I have blown motors before and it doesnt seem like that happened (At least I hope not...)

The car has 100,000 miles on it, and has always ran great. No problems, I changed the oil every 3k and used amsoil full synthetic, the maitenance was always kept up on this car. Timing belt was changed 10,000 miles prior. Brand new alternator and battery were put in less than 1k miles.

Anyone have any ideas what could of happened?

maybe your timing belt skipped a few teeth. happened to me when i downshifted into 1st by accident......

Hmmm ok, so what did you have to fix? I mean did you have to replace the whole timing belt? Or could you just adjust back to normal without getting into all that?

If the valves got bent the motor wouldnt even turn over would it???

I didnt hear any loud bangs or pops so I hope Im ok with the valves thing and it just skipped a few teeth like you said... I hope...:(

Ok so lets assume the valves are bent. Should I just replace the valves (I found a set of stainless steel valves for 145 bucks) or go with a whole new head? Basically I guess I want to know does anything else get ####ed up when this happens?

for me i didnt bend anything. i brought it to mitsubishi and they replaced the timing belt. cost me like $500.

The thing is just like u i just had the timing belt replaces around 3k miles back from a local shop.

Well since my friend is taking care of the bill I just took it too a good shop near my house. Will find out what they say hehe. If I was paying the bill I would be taking it apart right now. :) I bet after he sees the bill he will wish he never wanted to drive it.

Yep cost me about 500 bucks too. I got the whole kit and all so I guess that isnt so bad, it is alot of work and the kit costs 200 bucks... <sigh> guess Ill be doing that all over again. :|

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back