The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Car is Too Rich Won't Stay Running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunp

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2008
Snellville, Georgia
Hi guys,
I'm not sure what's going in with the car it sputters and won't stay on. It's a 98 GSX, built 7 bolt. Car is throwing code P0115 (Enigine coolant circuit malfunction). I just replaced the sensor moments ago and the code is back. I checked the voltage at the sensor and its registering 4.8v.

The car is also spitting some watery substance that smells like lts mixed with gas. Please see attached video and pictures.

Turbo Precision 6262
Walbro 535
FIC 2150's
JMF intake
Brian Crower 276 intake and Ex
Wiseco Boostline Rods
Wiseco 10:1 HD pistons
3 inch exhaust
AEM Wideband
AEM Tru Boost Controllers
ECMlink v3
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 20201214_143539.jpg
    20201214_143539.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20201214_143548.jpg
    20201214_143548.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 32
You replaced the coolant temp sensor or switch? Also check the plug itself. These cars are old and wires get brittle and break with age at the connector

You said it’s spitting water... is this from the exhaust? If it smells like coolant and it’s in the exhaust, I think we know how that got there. Not sure if that would cause your p0115 though. Can you do a leak down test? What caused you to replace the coolant sensor? Did it overheat? Chase the wires for the sensor and make sure they aren’t broken. Does the fan come on?

Check your ECT reading before you start the car on a cold engine

I spent some time chasing the cause you are having. Same code, same liquid coming out the exhaust, tired multiple sensors from different autoparts stores to used good oem ect sensors. Still the same. I checked grounds , cleaned them and add some grounds. Nothing changed. But i noticed on a cold start my ect was reading at 170*, with a little raise in temp it would jump to 220*. Yet my temp gauge was no where near the normal temp range still read cold. A different ecu solved my issue. On a cold engine my ect would read 60* and raised normal to 207* when warmed up and fans kicked on. But i have stock ecu.

You said it’s spitting water... is this from the exhaust? If it smells like coolant and it’s in the exhaust, I think we know how that got there. Not sure if that would cause your p0115 though. Can you do a leak down test? What caused you to replace the coolant sensor? Did it overheat? Chase the wires for the sensor and make sure they aren’t broken. Does the fan come on?
I repaced the sensor because of the P0115 code, both fans come on when cranking the car. I believe the water is coming from the waterpipe, I think the oring needs to be replace. The car never overheated. I tested coolant temperature connector and it read 4.8 volts.

I spent some time chasing the cause you are having. Same code, same liquid coming out the exhaust, tired multiple sensors from different autoparts stores to used good oem ect sensors. Still the same. I checked grounds , cleaned them and add some grounds. Nothing changed. But i noticed on a cold start my ect was reading at 170*, with a little raise in temp it would jump to 220*. Yet my temp gauge was no where near the normal temp range still read cold. A different ecu solved my issue. On a cold engine my ect would read 60* and raised normal to 207* when warmed up and fans kicked on. But i have stock ecu.
Where do I check the ect?

I read a similar thread recently and the fix was ecu for that car also.

Do yourself a favor and go over to ecmtuning and read all of the quick start and user guides. There is a lot of good info there that would be silly to duplicate here. Ecmlink is a very powerful diagnostic tool in addition to it’s tuning capability, and it would be very helpful to you to understand the basics so we can help you get info about what the car is doing. To directly answer one of your questions, though, the car does not need to run, just put the key in “on” and click connect in link with the cable plugged in under the dash and to the pc. At this point you’ll be pulling a stream from the ecu where you can see the output of the various sensors and such connected to the engine. You’ll need to log your coolant temp, use the “real coolant temp” log item. But first, figure out where the water is coming from. Dry everything and get your phone camera and poke it around. If the water pipe is leaking I’d get that fixed and then start chasing wires.

Forgive me but not that familiar with the software. Does the car need to be running to post a log or can i have the key in the on position? It wont stay on for more than 10 seconds. I start the screen capture?
Post the mod list for the car and take a couple seconds of a log with the key in On or better yet do it while the engine runs for a couple seconds. Either way can help.

I suspect this ecu is bad, the sensor ground is bad or there is a ground in the 5v power supply. The MAP sensor, IAT and tps are going haywire. My guess would be a blown sensor ground on the ecu but I'm no expert. Although, I did stay at a Holliday Inn last night. The speed density table is jacked beyond belief. Is this car on e85 or gasoline?

Last edited:
I suspect this ecu is bad, the sensor ground is bad or there is a ground in the 5v power supply. The MAP sensor, IAT and tps are going haywire. My guess would be a blown sensor ground on the ecu but I'm no expert. Although, I did stay at a Holliday Inn last night. The speed density table is jacked beyond belief. Is this car on e85 or gasoline?
The car is on e85, please don't mind the speed density stuff I called my self trying to lean the car out.

I took some pictures of the ecu can you tell me if you see anything of concern .

Attachments

• 20201214_212124.jpg
    20201214_212124.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201214_212227.jpg
    20201214_212227.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201214_211858.jpg
    20201214_211858.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201214_211901.jpg
    20201214_211901.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20201214_211904.jpg
    20201214_211904.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20201214_211931.jpg
    20201214_211931.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 33
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back