The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

car is running rich ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its running rich because there is too much fuel compared to the amount of air. Do a boost leak test, it is probably the most common reason for running rich.

Could be bad fuel pump, dirty air filter, bad fuel pressure regulator, or bad injectors. Just start with the little things and work your way back.

unfortunately no a code logger will not be able to tell if the fuel pump is going out, im not sure if one of the more expensive diagnostic machines will be able to tell, first check everything involved with air going into the car, make sure everything is nice and clean, then the throttle body make sure its not sticking( if its not opening properly not enough air is getting in and fuel is being added as normal- bad air to fuel ratio.) then check your o2 sensors and make sure they are not clogged with carbon, if they are clogged they are not reading your emissions properly. Also check spark plugs and see if they are good to go, could have bad spark and not igniting the fuel.

I see that this is your first turbo car so there is going to be much to learn. What makes you think the car is running rich? Maybe start by doing a search on what causes a car to run rich? Chances are there's a vacuum/boost leak. This can be tested by removing the intake tube and putting a coupler on the inlet of the turbo that allows compressed air to be forced into the inercooler system. The ecu has a predetermined measurement of fuel to be injected into each cylinder at a set rpm and load. If air is being lost through a leak in the charge system, this removes however many parts of air from the ratio of air to fuel. Causing an inefficient burn and power loss. What are you using to tune the car? Updating your mod list on your profile will make it much easier for fellow members to give you any useful information.

+1 keith2g

I would start with a boost leak test and I bet thats where your problem is with that E316G. In my experience with my 16g I do a test about every 3 weeks. Please update your profile or is that all you have done? No exhaust or injectors/fuel pump? tuning software? Wideband?

Bosst leak tester
IC Pipe Tester

* Also please use the " tag this post as helpful " if it applies. thank you *

Last edited:
then i first bought my car it ran, really rich , ended up being an old o2 sensor. sill runs rich but its because its a factory turbo car, they all run rich.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back