The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Car hasnt driven in 5 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madrox

Proven Member
Jul 29, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Folks,

I have a 92 TSI with about 170k miles on it that has been outside under car covers for about 5 years. I'm just getting back to the DSM life so most of my knowledge is gone. I bought it used in 1995 and drove it daily until about 2007.

The big question is what can I expect a shop to do for a car sitting out for so long? The valve cover seal was replaced a few months before getting parked so I assume a full engine flush is needed?

When it was parked I had a small coolant leak (most likely water pump seal, wouldn't be the 1st time) and it blew a gas line somewhere as I drove it to park. If I recall to fix the coolant leak requires a new belt.

Assuming engine flush, new timing belt, fixing any cracked hoses and water pump seal... should that come to $1k or less?

Any tips or suggestions is welcome.

Folks,

I have a 92 TSI with about 170k miles on it that has been outside under car covers for about 5 years. I'm just getting back to the DSM life so most of my knowledge is gone. I bought it used in 1995 and drove it daily until about 2007.

The big question is what can I expect a shop to do for a car sitting out for so long? The valve cover seal was replaced a few months before getting parked so I assume a full engine flush is needed?

When it was parked I had a small coolant leak (most likely water pump seal, wouldn't be the 1st time) and it blew a gas line somewhere as I drove it to park. If I recall to fix the coolant leak requires a new belt.

Assuming engine flush, new timing belt, fixing any cracked hoses and water pump seal... should that come to $1k or less?

Any tips or suggestions is welcome.

me personally, id do new timing belt and tentioners, new water pump, new oil pump and ALL new fluids including trans and drivetrain fluids as well, im also guessing you will be needing a new battery,

I saved my gvr4 from sitting for 7 years in the grass. Changed the fluids and did the repairs it needed, primed the oil system and it fired right up. I'm getting ready to over haul the motor just so its fresh. Just look over everything and do normal Pm's and you should be good.

Be sure to clear out the fuel system. The injectors are probably pretty gummed up after sitting for so long. You might even want to try the seafoam or whatever the stuff is called to clean the injectors. Read up on it first though. Some people won't use it because they think it's bad for the injectors.

Drain the gas, put fresh stuff in. Clean the injectors and fuel rail and probably replace your fuel filter.

Drain and replace all the fluids, do your timing belt, tensioners, water pump and accessory belts. If the car still has balance shafts you will need to replace the balance shaft belts as well, or get and install a BSD kit.

A new set of spark plugs would probably be good but not necessary.

Do an overall inspect and check for any leaks/cracked lines/rusted out lines/etc. Verify brakes work (also put new brake fluid, but not as important as other stuff if brakes work fine as is). There's a decent chances the brakes could be seized or at least pretty stuck.

No need to change your oil pump or remove your front cover...that's just excessive.

Definitely prime the engine before you go to crank it over.

Returned my 91 TSI AWD to the road after 12 years in storage. Replaced all fluids (brake, steering, oil, trans, diffs, transmission), new gas + seafoam and then swapped filters and plugs. Engine runs great.

The fluids pick up so much moisture, my brake fluid was amazing.

Thanks everyone for the info. Everything has been noted!

Unfortunately I live in an apt with no access to a garage so I'm going to list out all I need to do and have a garage do what I cant, I'll wrench the rest somewhere.

Thanks again!

:thumb:

All the above is recommend. Just brought my 92 out of hibernation last summer. It was sitting 5 years outside here in Toronto Canada and the last 5 years in the garage. Alternator should be checked and you might want to get your throttle body checked because the seals tend to dry out. I had a cold idle so I replaced the throttle body and isc. Check for boost leaks and check clutch adjustment and throttle adjustment. You should start a street build thread to document and let the forum help with issues your having. Oh one last thing I would recommend that you invest in a DSMlink with speed density, best thing I ever installed in a car! Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back