The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

car has no thermostat!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch26753

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2007
ridgelely, West_Virginia
ok been having overheating problems even in 20 degree weather here. I have nice aluminum radiator, one 14" slim fan. so the car is still getting hot. it doesn't have blown headgasket. So i thought well i will replace the thermostat , i got to do that and guess what the idiot that had it before me took it out all together. SO basically the car is running in a constant loop. Now correct me if im wrong but i thought with these cars that the thermostat would open when the engine temp got warm. Then replace that coolant with coolant from the radiator that was cool, taking the hot coolant from the motor to cool it down. Then it would constantly do this? This is just what someone told me, i thought once the motor got hot the coolant continued to circulate? let me know what you think? or could this even have something to do with the computer?

put a thermostat in it and it shoud fix your problems...usually with a thermostat out tho the car wouldn't warm up. I would replace the thermostat (making sure its facing the correct way) Are you sure the fan is coming on? Is there enough antifreeze in the system no leaks?

Coolant would be constantly running through the system. Not being allowed time to sit in the radiator and have air flow through the fins to cool it down. Does seem wierd though, that in 20 degree weather it was still overheating. Where was this driving at? Sitting still, Town, Highway?

It could be low on coolant, but surely you checked that already:laser:.

How old is your water pump? Check if it's pressurizing your system by idling and squeezing the rad hose when it's cold. Your car shouldn't be overheating without a thermostat. You might wanna check your duct work into the radiator.

I would have the coolant system check with a pressure guage then replace the cap and the thermostat with an oem and refill your system completely not just the overflow bottle this should fix your problem if not there is only a couple of other reasons that your car is overheating which are the radiator has a clog or maybe the heater core is messed up or last possiblility would be the water pump check those two things and you should be good:thumb:

Remove thermostat and back flush cooling system (after adding cleaner) to remove crud and blockages. Replace coolant with new. Add "Water Wetter". Run engine and burp the system of air (open rad cap and squeeze lower hose until all air bubbles are out). Add a 2nd fan (wire fans together in parallel). Make sure there are no leaks (pressure test) and water pump is working. Maybe get a larger rad. Add duct work (like previous guy said) to flow more air to the rad (this is probably your biggest problem). If engine runs that hot I'd leave thermostat out until you figure this out. Once the engine gets warm it just stays open anyway but there is a large restriction there.

ok been having overheating problems even in 20 degree weather here. I have nice aluminum radiator, one 14" slim fan. so the car is still getting hot. it doesn't have blown headgasket. So i thought well i will replace the thermostat , i got to do that and guess what the idiot that had it before me took it out all together.
Which is why you were overheating. You were lucky to not have burned exhaust valves, unless you have.
SO basically the car is running in a constant loop. Now correct me if im wrong but i thought with these cars that the thermostat would open when the engine temp got warm. Then replace that coolant with coolant from the radiator that was cool, taking the hot coolant from the motor to cool it down.
No. The thermostat does not cool the engine, it keeps the temperature up to the thermostat's rating. The radiator cools the coolant. The thermostat both keeps the radiator from over-cooling the coolant, and it restricts flow so that the coolant stays in the cooling jacket long enough to absorb heat before going to the radiator to shed it.
Then it would constantly do this? This is just what someone told me, i thought once the motor got hot the coolant continued to circulate?
Once the motor reaches operating temperature, the thermostat will open and close continuously to hold it at that temperature. It'll close down on the freeway when your airflow is highest through the radiator, and it'll open more at idle or when under load to allow more heat absorption and rejection.
or could this even have something to do with the computer?
No.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...run-no-thermostat-merged-8-7-no-no-no-no.html

thanks defiant! i can always count on you to write me a book or close a thread i posted on LOL. I got to looking today and it sounded like pressure was leaking out from around the thermostat housing cap area. So i am going to replace the cap, if that doesn't take car of it i am going to take off the thermostat housing and put a new gasket on that. I am almost 100% sure its the radiator cap not sealing properly. So go ahead correct my grammar/spelling, i know it's coming.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back