The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Car dying

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cfrakes

Proven Member
Jun 6, 2021
Idaho
I got a 1999 eclipse RS and whenever I crank it turns over but immediately dies. It takes about 4 times before it actually stays on. Then it also has a issue where it sounds like it's about to die out with the rpms going up and down from 600 to about 1000 rpms. I just got the car as a project and it does have a aftermarket cold air intake. Could that be that cause? Any ideas are appreciated thanks.

Have you checked your compression or performed a leak down test?Do you have carbon build up by the exhaust or any oxygen sensor codes?
Compression is around 190 across the board if I remember correctly. No carbon build and zero engine codes

Would a pcv without a hose connected be enough of a leak to cause it? I know for a fact the IAC is good. Thanks.
Yes that would be a huge leak. The fitting on the intake manifold is 3/8" so I would imagine a lot of air is passing through and causing lean conditions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back