The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Car died while driving, won't restart. I need serious help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stugotsv10

Proven Member
May 21, 2021
Connecticut
So I picked up a 99 GST yesterday, Fully rebuilt engine, Forged everything, AEM whole 9 yards, other then running a little rich, it ran flawless the whole way home (200 miles or so) about 25 miles from my house, rolling up to a light (now since this is a new build with like 400 miles on it now I'm not hammering this thing AT ALL) press the clutch to down shift and BOOM she drops STONE dead, I coast to the side of the road, she won't fire and has a fast cranking, fast to the point where it doesnt sound like its catching just "Free spinning"

After a WAR to get her home because its lowered, I have it towed home, pull the plugs, they look a bit fouled so I clean em (at this time no where is open to get new ones) pistons look good, crank it with no plugs, feel big gusts of air so there is movement, pop em back in, try some starting fluid NO change.

Now I checked spark on all 4 BUT to be honest to ME it looked weak but I know NOTHING about these cars so IDK what is an acceptable spark, I know coming from Mustangs and Vettes that spark looked weak as all hell.

Timing belt look fine, gotta love those see through brackets LOL

Any ideas here? I'm LOST LOST LOL

Yea man even if you get a top of the line build your looking at around 5-6. So they are charging you 10k in labor? Just based on how far off that quote is I personally wouldn't trust them

Where would you buy / do a top of the line build if it was you?

That price also includes dsm link since I have an old AEM1

The only regulator I can think of is the HLA regulator in the head. Find a new shop. For $15k, you can damn near buy a Demon Spec long block
There’s also a spring loaded regulator in the ofh. The big 22mm nut.

Wowww they are that expensive??

Do we "lose" anything when going with a 2.3 tho? Any drawbacks or down sides?

If I had money to be hands off I would bring the car to STM and tell them your pretty sure you jumped timing, bent valves and let them give you their opinion.

Best case they take the head off and say yea you're right we can rebuilt the head for you and then you'll be good.

Worst case they say you need a full engine rebuild like the other shop. But then it's already there and taken partially apart so you'll be ahead of the game already

Wowww they are that expensive??

Do we "lose" anything when going with a 2.3 tho? Any drawbacks or down sides?
You lose a lot more money trying to beef up your entire drivetrain to hold the torque. 300m transfer case, aftermarket driveshaft and axles. You could spend $15,000 just on the drivetrain and still break shit every pass

It depends what your power goals are. 500 or under a 2.3 is one of the best, over 500 a 2.3 is probably your worst option.

Wowwww really????? Now that's some good info right there!!! I do wanna go beyond 500.. can you explain that a little more?

To simplify it, 500hp is imo right around the number where your TORQUE reaches the line of risk/reward with a 2.3. Where a 2.3 shines is bottom end and spool. The problem on these cars with torque though is if you look at a 2.3 dyno graph the torque line usually peaks super hard at a fairly "low" rpm and then trails off as rpms increase. That "peak" of the torque mountain is very hard on driveline components when it's at a low rpm especially.

To be honest though, I just realized that I have always researched everything from an awd perspective, I am curious if it is a different story for the fwd guys

Wow now that's alot to think about.. now the 2.3 won't need any modification right? Just straight drop in?

What would be a better suggestion? That his fuel pump died when he pressed in the clutch? That his ecu or coils went bad? A timing failure is at worst an equal probability to anything else in my opinion.
My 97 balance broke and took out the crank sensor. I’d scan it before even checking compression. I literally turned a corner and I was out of commission.

What companies are recommended to use for a short block? I'm seeing several.. ALOTTT for the Evo.. am I yo assume those WONT fit without modification?

Like this one for example

Im sorry to hear, that is the worst. Ive always found it odd when someone sells a fresh build, like they know something i dont, but i will soon find out. Ill be honest, Its odd to see a non mechanic own the platform, but really cool to see it appreciated by all. DSMs... turning men into mechanics since 1989. Let us know how that convo goes.

What companies are recommended to use for a short block? I'm seeing several.. ALOTTT for the Evo.. am I yo assume those WONT fit without modification?

Like this one for example

No, that is the wrong motor.. You could check around FB groups for a ready to drop in motor that wouldn't cost even close to what you were quoted, I have personally heard some not so good things about Pruven and DSM (pretty fair shop depending on who you talk to for Audi, BMW ect but not DSM), if anything I would check with RRT in CT, who are a very reputable shop when it comes to Evo's and DSM's..

Look up Scott Frazho on the Facebook groups. He always has great Motors, ready to drop in. Most are fresh builds. Most are less than $5k And will handle just about anything that you can throw at it. He’s located in Michigan but he will ship.
Plus he is 100% reputable and trustworthy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back