The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT Car dead after it is wet, jumps fine, starts when dry

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlyssaM

Probationary Member
May 2, 2012
State College, Pennsylvania
I need some help and couldn't find an answer regarding this specific issue.

98 Eclipse GS. Around 160,000 miles, no mods.

When it rains (even drizzle) the car won't start and is completely dead. No lights, nothing. It will start and run fine if you jump it, but if you turn it off and try to start it again it won't do anything. No lights, just 100% dead. It will start after a few days when it's dry and acts like nothing happened. The garage said there's nothing wrong with it because it started every time for them.

It did this before and after changing the battery. What could be getting wet and causing it to do this? It's parked and not moving, so water isn't splashing up from puddles, etc.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm not really sure what to do and don't feel like spending a ton for them to tell me there's nothing wrong. It was the local Mitsu dealer so they either suck or don't want to be bothered with old cars.

I'm sorry if this is an easy fix but I don't know what to do next.

Spark plugs were changed, new wires, new seals and valve cover gasket. I saw a lot of posts for cars not starting when wet but all of those have some power. This car has zero. It's completely dead until it's dry. It rained the past few days so I'm hoping it will get dry enough today.

This has been going on for a year and I haven't been driving it as a result. All of the fixes I mentioned were done in the last month. Thanks for any insight. I'm obviously not a mechanic or handy with cars but when one says there's nothing wrong I really don't know what to try next.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really suns like there is a short in the wiring somewhere that could be leaching power. Does it start up the very first time when it's wet out? Or just period, whether it's moved or not, it won't start?

If it is whether you drive it or not, you might want to check around the tail lights, headlights, and doors for any leaks.

Your a na right? Your cam sensor may need to be re wired. On the 420a cars it sits rigt next to the egr and the wires love to get baked and then short out. My sisters car did the exact same thing and this was the issue. I can post more when i get off work or just pm me.

It won't start on its own when it's wet out. It's 100% dead, no lights or anything. If you jump it, it will start though and run fine. If you then turn it off it usually will not start on its own but I only tested that a few times. If you wait a few days and it dries it starts without a problem on its own. It hasn't started in a few days because of light on/off rain but I'm hoping with the high heat that it's dry today. It's so frustrating! I'm growing to hate this car.

I'm not sure what na is (sorry!). Is the cam sensor easy to access?

I'm not sure what na is (sorry!). Is the cam sensor easy to access?
N/A means that your car is naturally aspirated, which means you have no turbo or super charger. Your car is a GS so it has a Chrysler 420a, no turbo, unless you put a kit on, but you said it's bone stock

No turbo on this one. I tried to start this morning but with it being early there was water on the car so I'll try again later. I'll have to bring it in the garage to check the wires. I would do it outside but my neighbors like to complain if you work on cars (townhouse rental community of jerks). The one called the cops because it was parked too long on the street w/o moving. They couldn't do anything because it's registered, etc. Because of these people I don't even want to jump it to get it in the garage so I really need it to dry out today.

There doesn't appear to be any leaks near the lights. When I changed the antenna a few weeks ago I noticed it was rusting just under it, under the carpet. I was surprised water was getting down there so I wouldn't be surprised if there are other sources of entry. It's just bizarre that it goes from 100% dead to alive and well in a few days. I hope it will be an easy fix because I'm getting tired of sharing 1 car.

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'll definitely check those things tonight or tomorrow. Will probably jump the car when everyone is gone or asleep. If they know it's dead they'll just complain to the rental co.

I'd also consider checking/replacing your ground strap under the hood (the ground that connects to the negative (black) battery terminal) and ensuring proper bare metal is showing underneath the ground. I've had similar issues with previous cars.

Chris

A classic 420a problem, the EGR tube exits from the exhaust to the firewall side of the block. Over time the heat from the EGR tube fries the wiring. If you look at where the wires spit from the harness to coil pack next to the throttle body, you see that heat has soaked the wiring. If you where to chase to wires from the crank sensor (under the intake manifold) to this wiring harness junction, I bet you you will find the problem. My daughter 's420a would do this all time I changed the cam sensor and crank sensor, still a hit and miss. I finally tried of, rescuing the car and dealing with her drama. I chased the problem down under the wire loom the moisture would build up and shot wiring insulation don't mix. Re wire from the crank sensor up to spilt in the wiring junction and no more issues. There was factory bulletin relating to this issue, but no recall. Good luck, feel free to PM me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back