The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT Car cranks but no start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsmJessy

Probationary Member
Mar 12, 2021
Bell, California
I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rs. I am currently having issues with my car. My car cranks but no start. Fuel pump is not priming. One morning i warmed up my car and moved my car to the front of my house. Later on I went back into my car suddenly fuel pump wasn't priming and my car would crank but no start. Can this be a bad ecu problem ? I pulled out my old ecu and it was the original ecu from 1997 from Chrysler. I replaced all the sensors from camshaft sensor , Crankshaft sensor, MAF sensor , Idle control valve , pcv valve , Tps sensor , Brand new fuel pump , new coil pack. Brand new ASD relay , Fuel pump Relay. My battery and alternator are at good volts. I tested both of them. I did have issues before when in a red light my car would idle and shut off and when I would accelerate it would be difficult to accelerate and it would jerk as if the car wanted to die or was loosing power. I just want to confirm if this is a ECU problem. Thank you for your time. I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you

Last edited:
Have you checked for power going to the fuel pump?
I haven’t yet. But how do you check for power in the fuel pump in my situation ? Sometimes before the car started to act up. The fuel pump would only prime sometimes and right now is completely dead. No prime . Nothing. Please let me know how can I check for power

I haven’t yet. But how do you check for power in the fuel pump in my situation ? Sometimes before the car started to act up. The fuel pump would only prime sometimes and right now is completely dead. No prime . Nothing. Please let me know how can I check for power
Are you just listening for the fuel pump? Have you verified no fuel pressure at the fuel rail (cranking vs key on)?

Are you just listening for the fuel pump? Have you verified no fuel pressure at the fuel rail (cranking vs key on)?
Yeah I hear nothing coming from the fuel pump. And I haven’t done that diagnostic from the fuel rail . How can I test for that from the fuel rail ?

Fuel pressure regulator I have not changed it. All thought I did buy a new one just waiting on the car to start again and I have the stock ecu that came with the car. Probably is a bad connected. I ordered a new ecm. I’m praying that is the main problem.

I did do a compression test on the new fuel pump and the fuel pump is good and has pressure.
im assuming you put 12v to the black/blue wire to activate the pump, right?

if you did and the pump runs, have you checked that the fuel pump relay activates when the car is cranking? it should also activate for 1 second when you first turn on the key to prime it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back