The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Can't shift into 1st or 2nd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynatos

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2003
Gresham, Oregon
Lately - my 95 GSX has been having trouble shifing into second gear (grinding at any RPM's above 1500) - which as i've found is most likely the syncro - but recently, it won't let me get into first or second gear - it just pops out and grinds against it until put back into nuetral. I've tried to search for exactly what's wrong, but have found mixed results..

i've checked the shifter linkage, and i have a little play at top and a little before engagement. Though, i was able to get into first doing it manually at the tranny, that only lasted for a little while.

Is there anything i can do to limp along until i can afford something nice from TRE? I've changed the fluid, no help though - and exactly what's wrong?.. can the first/second syncro cause this? the other gears seem to work great, just first and second are messed up. any ideas would be greatly apreciated...

Originally posted by dynatos
Lately - my 95 GSX has been having trouble shifing into second gear (grinding at any RPM's above 1500) - which as i've found is most likely the syncro - but recently, it won't let me get into first or second gear - it just pops out and grinds against it until put back into nuetral. I've tried to search for exactly what's wrong, but have found mixed results..

i've checked the shifter linkage, and i have a little play at top and a little before engagement. Though, i was able to get into first doing it manually at the tranny, that only lasted for a little while.

Is there anything i can do to limp along until i can afford something nice from TRE? I've changed the fluid, no help though - and exactly what's wrong?.. can the first/second syncro cause this? the other gears seem to work great, just first and second are messed up. any ideas would be greatly apreciated...
i had the same problem so i tore the tranny apart and true enough i had broken 1/2 shift fork so i replaced them with steele forks and its all good now:thumb:

Originally posted by keltalon
i had the same problem so i tore the tranny apart and true enough i had broken 1/2 shift fork so i replaced them with steele forks and its all good now:thumb:

Wow - i didn't think anyone was gonna reply :)
Could you get into gear sometimes? I can get it into first maybe 1 out of 10 tries. Thanks for the input - i'm getting a new tranny from TRE so i'l play with the old one and find out what broke :D

Also, would a bent shift fork (asuming it can bend) cause problems shifting? Like would my problem of grinding into second have been from a bent shiftfork and not my syncros?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back