The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

cant go into reverse PLEASE HELP :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustint265

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2009
mansfield, Ohio
OK so my car was low on clutch fluid, i drove it down the road and a lil bit further maybe a mile or two drove it back home ### at the time i didn't know it was outta fluid, usually after you pump up the clutch a few times after it realllllyy cold out itll get pressure again, the slave clyinder was already replaced maybe... 6 months ago. Put fluid in it pumped it up got it to good pressure and it went into ALL the gears except reverse... tried to start it while tryin to force it into reverse... didnt work. tried to put in reverse while the car was off. Didn't work. bled the clutch tried all those things AGAIN didn't work.

Any ideas so i dont have to buy a new tranny? reverse worked fine before. I only put it in reverse on low fluid it didn't even grind. maybe when i drove it low on fluid it hurt something? idk, someone PLEASE HELP :(

tranny fluid and clutch fluid are two completely different things big guy. :)
your clutch fluid acts as a hydraulic fluid, kind of like your brake fluid. you put in the clutch, the line fills up and the slave cylinder engages/disengages the clutch. tranny fluid lubes the gears in the tranny and unless you've got an automatic you can't check the fluid level in there... i think the PM (preventitive maintenance) cycle on those things replacing the tranny fluid according to mitsu is every 13,000 miles?
sometimes mitsu trannys can be tricky to get into reverse, try something for me.
clutch in and get the shifter as far into reverse as you can (im assuming it won't click into gear?) hold it there *gently* and give the car some gas slowly releasing the clutch, doing this should gently click that tranny into reverse. if this works and your tranny is still good everytime you reverse from now on come to a complete stop before taking the car out of gear and slamming it into 1st.

:dsm:

go under the hood and see if you can put it in reverse by hand. ^^^ like calan said if your having trouble getting into fifth then you probably have a problem with the shift linkage.

If your fifth gear is out as well its most likely a bent shift fork and or bad fifth gear synchros.(fifth gear and reverse are on the same shifter rail) I have the same problem with my 1993 TSI. I only have gears one through four. If your fifth gear is fine most likely you can adjust or replace the shifter cables because they do stretch out over time. Fix the small things first then work your way to the big stuff

I had problems going into reverse while still being able to get into 5th and adjusted the linkage and it was no problem getting into reverse. Before I adjusted the linkage it would take me 10 tries to get it into reverse.:rocks:

i tried messing with the linkage and i tried putting into reverse lighting and gassing it and letting out on the clutch but nothing, like reverse is gonnnne... for no reason... but it goes into 1-5 like butttter. sooo confused LOL what should i do with the linkage? like try to put it in rev while someone is in the car tryin to put it inn rev?

Try changing out your tranny fluid. If there are metal flakes in it you could have a problem with the gears. From what it sounds like thoe its probably a stretched shifter cable, worn rubber bushings on the tranny or reverse light switch. Its either serious or not... As in live with it, repair or get a new tranny or an easy fix.

Where in the hell do i check the tranny fluid at LOL ive been looking and cant find where to check it at. idk if since its awd its harder to find or what, and how would i adjust the linkage, when i goto put it in gear two little arms move in oppisite directions..

Can you put it in reverse when the car is off, and then start it and see if reverse works (leave it in reverse when you start it).

car off it wont go into reverse... cant force it into reverse cant push it in. cant hold it in and move the clutch in and out to make it go in. Would it randomly just go out though? it didn't grind before at all. i put it in reverse that last time on low fluid and it didn't grind.... i left it in the driveway for about 3 days put more fluid in and went into EVERY GEAR except reverse.... WTF?!!?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back