The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

cant get more than 16psi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted97GS-T

20+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2002
Louisiana
this is starting to piss me off. for some reason no matter how high i turn up the boost on my joe p mbc, my boost always just settles at around 16psi. i checked for leaks and my bov was leaking, i bought a turbo xs bov and now no more leak but my boost still settles at 16psi. i just turned it up alot and made a test run and it went to 26psi then right back down to 16psi.

also i triple checked my mbc and it is hooked up right.

Sounds to me like the MBC is hooked up wrong.. I was having this same problem and realized that when you hook your MBC up at 4am after about 15 beers, that you do stupid things, like hook the hoses up wrong.. Check it again.. Also did you check for leaks after you installed the new BOV?

I knew a girl from canada whose boost guage was wrong. She was pushing nearly 30lbs on the T25 trying to get better than like 13lbs or something crazy like that. Maybe you've got a boost guage leak? Have you pressurized the intake totally?

yes i have pressure tested it up to 20psi on my boost gauge, and it held it fine. how would i determine if my boost gauge is wrong?

When you do the intake leak test, if you have a way to put a gauge onto the cap of the leak tester, have someone in the car looking at the gauge, calling out the number, and compare it to what you're seeing. They should be similar anyway.

That'd be my quick guess as to checking boost gauge accuracy.

-Jesse

I got that problem never go past 15lbs and i just bought BOV no different.Im doing leak check tomorrow :cry:

Originally posted by blackvr4
I got that problem never go past 15lbs and i just bought BOV no different.Im doing leak check tomorrow :cry:

mine goes way higher than 16psi but thats just where it comes back down too.

right now like its set it jumps to 21psi then gets back down to 16psi, but i tell you what when it hits 21psi the tires boil in 2nd gear then the boost just falls off a sec. after

Ummm... whoever said they ran like 30 pounds on a T25..... was not telling the truth, it's impossible for that turbo to spit out that much boost.

As far as your problems hitting above 16psi, your turbo may be on its way "out"...... but consider yourself lucky. My T25 would only hold 17psi till 5 grand, and then fall off to 12 by redline.

wow... those were the days :)

Doh... thought you had a T25.

Dumb question, but have you done your timing belt recently? If so, are you sure your not off a tooth?

i actually had the timing belt changed the day i bought the car, so i cant say if there was a difference.

fixed found leak cracked intercooler i am poping hoses and pinging all over the place couldnot be happier

:laugh: i cant believe it im so relieved and excited the thing goes like a rocket its probably leaked for years .
I put an air compressor on the cooler piping and it hisses like a snake down there so i got a piece of straight exaust pipe for time being now car launches.
jioning club last night best thing i ever did thanks pp:D

Originally posted by Boosted97GS-T
this is starting to piss me off. for some reason no matter how high i turn up the boost on my joe p mbc, my boost always just settles at around 16psi. i checked for leaks and my bov was leaking, i bought a turbo xs bov and now no more leak but my boost still settles at 16psi. i just turned it up alot and made a test run and it went to 26psi then right back down to 16psi.

also i triple checked my mbc and it is hooked up right.

Did you remove your Boost Control Solenoid Restrictor?

Doesn't that keep your at around 16psi? If you didn't click on the link and there are instructions on how to do it.

-Nate

Originally posted by dsmnate

Did you remove your Boost Control Solenoid Restrictor?

Doesn't that keep your at around 16psi? If you didn't click on the link and there are instructions on how to do it.

-Nate

Exactly how would that limit the boost if he's using an MBC???

i'm not using the bcs, i'm using a mbc. but heres what i did, i just ordered a hallman mbc, i will try that and see what happens.

i also tried this, i took out my joe p and just hooked up the hose directly to my wastegate, and bam 12psi everytime and nothing more, so this tells me that its the boost controller right?

Originally posted by Quacylla

Exactly how would that limit the boost if he's using an MBC???

I don't know. I didn't have enough sleep last night and wasn't thinking when I posted that. I guess it wouldn't do anything. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back