The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Can't find the Ngk spark plugs, where to go?/ how to gap spark plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winky

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2005
Madison, Wisconsin
hey

so i just got paid and decided i should change my spark plug wires and plugs... i looked on here to see reccomendations and i saw the BKR6ES was the best solution.... well I've been to 3 of the car parts stores and all said they didnt have them or never even heard of them(i think they are idiots but whatever) so i go on NGK website and look it up and found the BKR6ES-11 (these are it right? because I went on the part stores website and they had these)

sorry for the pointless thread so I will throw in my question Ive been wondering....
how do you gap spark plugs ? the ngk all say .50 does that mean they are pre gapped or just reccommended there?

you got the right plugs, but don't gap 'em at .50 go to .28

gapping the plug is easier than turning the car on :)
just buy a "spark plug gapper" i donno what's the professional name for it, at any autoparts store and look at the ring where it says .28 or close

NAPA sells NGK's as well, and if they don't have them in stock, they can be put on special order.

If you are non-turbo then the NGK's BKR6ES are fine. If you are basically stock then there is no need to re-gap them. If you have some performance mods, then re-gapping would be a good idea. They come pregapped to .50.

I bought NGK Plugs mine online from partsamerica.com

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NGK&mfrpartnumber=1128&parttype=960&ptset=A

Then I bought a wire spark plug gauge to gap them to between .028 and 0.030 since the plugs are two pronged and concaved around the electrode, a regular gapper won't work. I just tried to make it a very tight 0.030 gap.

Here's an example of what I mean:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3393&mfrcode=PBI&mfrpartnumber=648522

I also switched over my wires to Red MSD 8.5mm wires to #32719 which I got from Summit Racing.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=+-59610+-59658+-42552

This is for a 97 GST so some of the parts numbers may differ.

i know autozone doesn't carry them but advance auto parts do carry them and thats where i buy mine

Vallary99 said:
If you are non-turbo then the NGK's BKR6ES are fine. If you are basically stock then there is no need to re-gap them. If you have some performance mods, then re-gapping would be a good idea. They come pregapped to .50.

Non turbo? You are fine with the ngk bpr6es with turbo as long as you are running less than 18 psi. Any higher and the 7 would be a good choice. I dont know what makes the previous poster state non turbo but the 6 will be fine.

As far as finding them, advance auto, autozone, and NAPA all carry them. As far as the bpr7es, only place out of the three that stock them are NAPA. If you cant find either, try your local motorcycle shop. Might be a little more expensive but they are both normal plugs for some atv's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back