The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Can't find my squeak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bholland

Probationary Member
Jun 14, 2010
McBride, BC_Canada
I have a squeak that I'm having a hard time tracking down. It only does it once the car has warmed up and been running for a while. Car seems to run fine also. I've checked injector seals, vacuum leaks, turbo, and accessor belts. Sounds like it might be coming from the head. Anyone know what this could be?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TiWwbPVZF0]2g talon squeaking sound - YouTube[/ame]

Motor sounds real good, to say that for sure ...

Might have to "earball" it by getting the head close to the sound during idle and see if you can pinpoint it more closely where the squeak is coming from.

Could be a simple thing as a mount is loose and chirping against itself since the squeak only happens during idle and not acceleration.

spray the belts 1 at a time with pb blaster or whatever you have on hand see if it goes away for a second if so replace the belt. take the belts off and make sure the pulleys are spinning good by hand. you can get a stethoscope with a long probe on the end and use it to pinpoint the noise also probably gonna be the easiest way to find it if its not a belt/pulley. sometimes they squeal if they're not tight enough too. a parts store should have a stethoscope like I described

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried spraying the belts and it didn't make a difference. It only does it once it's reached operating temperature and has been running for a while but only at idle. I'm starting to think it might a bigger issue...

I didn't notice the above post. You do NOT want to spray the belts with anything, especially a penetrating lubricant like pb blaster , it will weaken the belt over time, and a greasy lubricant such as pb blaster will make the belt slippery as it is absorbed Into the belt.

Check the belts for their condition (no cracks, broken ribs , materials in ribs, etc) as well as their tension. There should only be a 1/4" deflection in accessory belts.

A good condition belt set at the right tension will not slip or squeak.

I would also call it water pump since it emitted the same amount of chirps as does the crank rotation at idle since the two pulleys are almost the same diameter.

I ruled out idler rollers since they are a lot smaller in diameter as with the crank pulley.

The chirp increased when power was applied until it had enough speed to suddenly quit squeaking.

Yeah I thought that it might be the breather, but I checked that and it doesn't change anything. Going to take all the belts off tomorrow once it warms up enough to squeak, then spin the pulleys by hand and see if I can make any of them squeak.

Sorry for the delay but I haven't had time to look at until now :S OK I warmed up the car long enough for it to start squeaking then took all of the belts off. Ran it for like 10 seconds and it made the same noise. So that should rule out the alternator, water pump, power steering, and AC (which I didn't have a belt on to begin with). I took the valve cover off and checked the cam bearings. They all look perfect. Nothing looks out of place in the head. What should I check next? I was thinking it's a timing component like the idler pulley or the tensioner pulley or possibly something to do with the oil pump. I have my balance shafts removed btw. Thanks.

Removed the timing cover and checked the idler + tensioner pulleys. The tensioner pulley did seem a little hard to spin by hand so I changed it out with a new one. Thinking that was my problem, I put it all back to together and the squeak was still there. Starting to get frustrated haha. Then only other thing I can think of is that it might be a vacuum leak where the intake bolts onto the head, but thats just grasping at straws cause I have no idea any more.

1. How long has it been squeaking?
  2. Was anyone under the hood for any reason just before you noticed it?
  3. When you first noticed it, was it just as loud or has it grown louder over time?

1. It's been like a month since it started squeaking, but the car isn't my daily driver so I haven't really been driving it.

2. I had just done the rings and valve seals and the sounds didn't show up until a while after that. I also did an EGR delete a while back too.

3. It's always the same. Only does it after it has been running for a while and warm. Once the car is warm it will slowly start to make the noise then gradually get louder. It doesn't seem to be getting worse anyways...

Get a stethoscope as someone already suggested. Or make another longer video while slowly moving your phone around. During the one you posted it definitely gets louder/quieter as you were moving around.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back