The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 2GNT Can't fill tank. I knew this would happen!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I can't fill the tank up with gas! It goes for about a second and then cuts off. I think there is too much pressure building up. This didn't happen before I did the evap delete. So obviously I cut or capped something I wasn't supposed to.

I pulled everything except the 2 hoses for fuel pump, the 1 large hose for filler neck, and the 1 tiny hose that connects to the tank above the larger one. I'm thinking that I should have left THIS on:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Am I correct?

That sucks, in mean time I’d use the gas needle hole beneath the back seat to get gas in LOL. I have a hole in my filler hose somewhere so I can pump it normal either ha ha
That's a good idea LOL. I will do that tomorrow, just enough to hold me over until I have time to drop my tank AGAIN.
Mistakes were made, and the lesson was learned...

Yea I’m always scared to do things like that cause the computer wigs out or some shit. The fill needle hole or the fuel pump hole itself would work I’d think. The one I use is 4 Phillips screws. And five? small nuts I believe

There's a check valve that sits near the engine bay and connects a vacuum hose from the gas tank to the EVAP canister under the right fender. When I got rid of my EVAP system, I kept the check valve to release pressure from within the gas tank. I never had a problem filling the tank. It might be too late for you to do this now, but I thought I'd share anyway.

There's a check valve that sits near the engine bay and connects a vacuum hose from the gas tank to the EVAP canister under the right fender. When I got rid of my EVAP system, I kept the check valve to release pressure from within the gas tank. I never had a problem filling the tank. It might be too late for you to do this now, but I thought I'd share anyway.
The check valve is still there, but the hose is not connected to the tank. Thanks for sharing

What lines did you remove from the tank?

The 2 tank lines are independsnt and should not effect filling.

1 is the pressure valve ontop of the tank and air transfer from fuel when using fuel and the other is into the filler neck hole. Those are both critical and from what i see the only things to screw up fuel filling.

The front tank vent is for the canister but should not cause filling issues since its ment to pull the fumes with the engine on

What lines did you remove from the tank?
Now I see the issue. The thing I circled in the picture, I don't know what it is called, but it is a spring that opens when there is a certain amount of pressure. Well I removed it and installed a blockoff plate. So obviously the pressure is not getting released. And it seems that the spring is locking up anyway, so I need to order a new one. This would explain the car never holding a full tank since I bought it.

I removed 4 of them. 3 were the evap, and 1 was the pressure release LOL.

So ladies and gentlemen, do not blockoff your pressure release valve when doing an evap delete. Only remove the three hoses!

So you removed that from your fuel tank at the very top? Looks similer to my fwd tank one but yours is longer then mine

This is a picture that I took from an old thread. The port labeled #1 is the one that I put the blockoff plate on.

And that is the port that contains the pressure release valve, see here

Arh heck yeah you cannot remove that! Dont know why you ever thougbt you could to be honest! I can only assume you dont know how a fuek tank works is my only guess,

That and the filler cap hose needs to be in place,

I had to design my new filler units for my custom fuel tank so i had to check i had enough venting and fuel vs pressure relief.

Arh heck yeah you cannot remove that! Dont know why you ever thougbt you could to be honest!
I'm not even sure why I did! I guess I thought it was just some evap or something. But I'm glad I can use all my brain cells to figure it out today LOL.
I can only assume you dont know how a fuek tank works
Well I know how fuel tanks work. And there is a small hose above the filler neck hose. I hooked that one back up because I though it was the breather. But apparently it is not the PRIMARY breather and does not release enough pressure to fill the tank. This is why I can fill for a second only. Because after a second the little hose gets overloaded and the pressure builds up. Thank you for the help Bobby! :D

Now the presuming issue... I cannot find this thing anywhere! Does anybody know where I can buy one?

I'm not even sure why I did! I guess I thought it was just some evap or something. But I'm glad I can use all my brain cells to figure it out today LOL.

Well I know how fuel tanks work. And there is a small hose above the filler neck hose. I hooked that one back up because I though it was the breather. But apparently it is not the PRIMARY breather and does not release enough pressure to fill the tank. This is why I can fill for a second only. Because after a second the little hose gets overloaded and the pressure builds up. Thank you for the help Bobby! :D

Now the presuming issue... I cannot find this thing anywhere! Does anybody know where I can buy one?
You cannot buy new ones and must get a spare from a used tank, whats wrong with your one?

2 vital lines on the tank for venting / air displacemet are this valve and filler neck breather. Both critical and both have a good purpose,

So the check valve is for air transfer into the tank when fuel is being removed (being used) it balances the tanks pressire out to not collapse or explode! It shuts off fuel when it sloshes around to not spill out hence the spring inside, its also a pressure releif for filling but not the main since its a tiny hose.

The one on the filler neck thats bigger is the main vent, it always vents to atmosphere and this hose when filling expells all the old air inside the tank and whats able to come out of the neck if it can.

With that plugs or capped no air escaping means you cannot transfer enough air to fuel for the tank and it bscks up stoping the fuel fillling process

whats wrong with your one?
The part that the hose connects to is broke off. And apparently it has been broke off for a while now, because the break point is filled with dirt along with the hose. The car has never held a full tank of gas since I owned it (2 years).

The part that the hose connects to is broke off. And apparently it has been broke off for a while now, because the break point is filled with dirt along with the hose. The car has never held a full tank of gas since I owned it (2 years).
Arh, then yes a used one from another tank is your only option. I dont know if this part is in another car or not so maybe have to check or if its even available on its own.

The canister in natural operation acts as a breather for the fuel tank.
Charcoal's job inside is to scrub hydrocarbon in vapor form from the air as it passes.
You add fuel the displaced air has to escape the tank.
Vice -versely the tank needs to allow air in.
If it can build a vacuum in side the tank it will do damage.
Sometimes in spectacular fashion....

So as air passes in and out of tank the canister's charcoal is a filter and scrubs the air of hydrocarbons as they are pushed thru.

Last edited:
I thought of a very simple and inexpensive solution. I did not have to drop the tank again, in fact this only took about 15 minutes. The pictures will speak louder than words:

The main issue I had was removing the plastic check valve with spring inside. If that part is removed/blocked off or not functioning properly then you won't be able to fill the tank at regular speed as it cannot relieve excess pressure quick enough. My cheap and easy solution was just removing the charcoal canister and vent lines then adding a microfilter to the vent ports. This is not the proper way, but is a temporary fix. I did eventually replaced the check valve with one from a junkyard, as I could not find them new. If using a microfilter make sure to reinstall the splash shield/dust shield or else the filter will deteriorate quickly. And make sure the check valve gets serviced if you would like the system set up properly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back