The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Can't shift into 2nd, 4th or Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I have checked and double checked ALL linkage connections from the shifter out to the trans. Everything is straight, tight and moves freely as it should. I suddenly lost 2 4 R gears while in traffic on Friday the 13th, go figure. I’ve also had someone else look over everything and came to the same conclusion as myself. We believe it’s something inside the trans. We opened up the end of the trans I pulled out a cpl months back just to get an idea of what we’re dealing with. What’s the chances that the gear that’s gold in color could’ve broken and is jammed up not allowing me to get into those gears? Anyone else had these issues with all cables, brackets and connections solid?!

You are certain that you have the retaining spring clip in place on the shift cables at the bracket on the trans? Have you disconnected the shift cables at the transmission and manually engaged all gears with car off and safely tested starting the car to confirm?

It sounds like a shift cable problem. There is nothing in the trans that kills 2/4/R.

Nothing is hitting your shift selector arm counterweight in the engine bay??

Yes all of the clips are/were in place and straight. I have disconnected everything and manually engaged the gears 1/3/5 when attempting to engage 2/4/R it’s like the selector is hitting a wall. It won’t even try to go into that gear set. There’s is absolutely nothing anywhere near being in the way or hitting the gear selector or counterweight to prevent going into any gear.
I’m currently pulling the trans and will find and repair the issue at hand. I’ll share what I find along with some pics. Hopefully it can help someone else.

Is the select shoe still in place? At least shift it by hand at the lever before you drop. You can compare that to the shifter being moved with an assistant. It's more likely to be an external issue since it's all 3.

Is the select shoe still in place? At least shift it by hand at the lever before you drop. You can compare that to the shifter being moved with an assistant. It's more likely to be an external issue since it's all 3.
Wym the “select shoe”?? I’ve disconnected both cables and tried repeatedly to get it into any of the 3 gears by hand and it won’t go or even try to go into gear.

Select shoe is a small cube of plastic at the select levers on the trans. Without it the lever doesnt pull up or down like it should.

Got the trans out and opened up and immediately found my problem. That’s a lot of work and hassle for a lil ole pin to be slid outta place. But she’s fixed and currently going back in. Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Hope my experience can help someone else in the future.

Attachments

• 26DC0312-14E2-4CC2-969B-F2F0845E43F1.jpeg
    26DC0312-14E2-4CC2-969B-F2F0845E43F1.jpeg
    703.7 KB · Views: 115
Got the trans out and opened up and immediately found my problem. That’s a lot of work and hassle for a lil ole pin to be slid outta place. But she’s fixed and currently going back in. Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Hope my experience can help someone else in the future.
I’m pretty sure I have the same problem as you did, where was the pin located on the transmission? And was taking out the transmission difficult?

I’m pretty sure I have the same problem as you did, where was the pin located on the transmission? And was taking out the transmission difficult?
Not likely. Thats a tapered lock pin in the original thread. Have you attempted to shift by hand at the trans or have you looked at all the linkage?

Not likely. Thats a tapered lock pin in the original thread. Have you attempted to shift by hand at the trans or have you looked at all the linkage?
Yea I checked all the bearings, linkages, they still going strong, i took off the shift cables and shifted by hand and it’s still not letting me go into 2, 4, and R

Pulling the trans is a bit of work if you’ve never done it before. If you do pull it tho I recommend leaving the front spindle and axel all together and pulling them as one per side. and opening the trans I honestly wouldn’t recommend unless you have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge

You confirm the spring retainer clips are on the shift cables to the shift cable bracket??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back