The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cant choose? DSM or 240sx?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicotic

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
fairbanks, Alaska
I had a 92 Laser RST. It was FWD. I sold it tho bc i joined the Army. Now i have some money and looking to buy a new car. I loved my 240sx but i loved my laser. I wanted to get a 2g if i did get a DSM. I dont know what to so i think i will ask some fellow DSMer's. It is so hard!

thats a hard one. ive drove my friends sr20 powered 240 and it pulls like a beast. but then a gsx would pull just as hard. i had to make this decision and me personally have decided on looking for a gsx.

I think it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you post something like this on this site you are definetly going to be told to get another dsm. My vote is for a 2g gsx!!! Nothing against the 240, they are killer cars with sr20det swaps, but nothing compares to a dsm. I think that if you get an awd you are starting with a very solid base to build off of. And you can do just about anything with it too. Except drift!!!! HAHA.

If you can find a 97-98 Kouki, then get it, drop a sr20vet in it. Its reliable and can hit 9k all day if done right.

Only thing is the sr20ve is pretty rare, so the vet is even harder to find.

I had a 240 it did pull hard. But mine was a k24de-t. Idk i love RWD and AWD. But i think the dsm is less rust. grrrrrr.... this is so hard.

I think the 240 is more fun and better balanced out of the box. Just make sure that maintenance was kept up, either way, there's a lot of room in the engine bay to work with. If you get a 240, make sure not to get the Super HICAS version, that goofy rear-wheel steering is somewhat annoying.

My best friend has a real jdm Silvia w/450 hp. It's sick. And I'm DSM all the way. The only thing I can never get used to is the right side drive bs. No comparisson. If you've got the money I would get the 240 but only if you can buy a sr20det to drop in otherwise it's completly slow and pointless. There shit without it.

I think the 240 is more fun and better balanced out of the box. Just make sure that maintenance was kept up, either way, there's a lot of room in the engine bay to work with. If you get a 240, make sure not to get the Super HICAS version, that goofy rear-wheel steering is somewhat annoying.

Only the 300zx tt had the aws...

I think i want to start with a 240 with a sr20, but i think i would want a rb25 instead. If i did.

Apples and Oranges....

If you are going to keep the car somewhat stock, I would go with the DSM.

If you are going to go nuts and spend 5k+ on an engine swap ( to do it correctly ) then the 240sx might be the way to go.

This is assuming you want low traction and tire smoke fun over a sick 0-60. To each their own though, since I have owned both cars and enjoyed each of them for what they bring to the table.

----
If I was going to put a sr20ve or sr20det in anything though... I would build a sleeper 200sx or nx2000 :)

----
Just noticed your post on the RB25det swap... even though its been done countless times, I have never had one in front of me. Would be pretty sick, but I dont know what you would have to compensate for money wise and weight wise over just a plane sr20det swap.

I just got rid of my 240sx and now have my 2g tsi awd. I miss the 240 for one reason drifting. WHat i dont miss is people that dont know car's telling me i have a nice honda prelude. LIke what the hell you dont see the big ass tire's on the back and th tiny 205's oin the front. Wow 235's on the back. And unless it's turboed their not that fast.

It all depends on what you want and are looking for. Down here in Louisiana turbo DSMs are more rare and GSXs (except 90-91) are harder to find. I only know of about 10gsx (92-99) in a 100 mile raduis (I am sure there are a few more). I can find 240s all day long (know of at least 20 in a 10 mile radius). I personaly am the type of person who likes to be different. But if I was into drifting (no tracks anywhere near here have drift corses) I would have a 240 or a 1st or 2nd gen celica supra.

sr20's are garbage... be a man and turbo the ka... (like you already did).

The sr nissans are as bad as hondas using their cars for fashion statements and being rude to people that don't have completely slammed cars... with their faux hawk hair cuts LOLol.

My buddy turbo'd his ka24 and he makes EASY work of those sr20 guys... it's hilarious.

My vote is for a 1g DSM since they're the illest body style. That is my opinion so resist the flame war.

Def wanna be different money isnt s problem, i got a 26000 bonus, and have 13k of it now. If i got a dsm i would like to try the 2.3 stroker thing. I think the s15 conversion is awesome on a 240, it would def be 95-98 model. Same with a DSM 97-99 AWD. Hmmm.

DSM FTW!! for sure i would go dsm.. You got that kind of money to put into it.. an awd dsm done right will own folks.. and look super clean.. Plus your already starting out with a good engine base.. stock TURBO dsm > NON turbo 240 jus my .02

I've had both, and would pick the DSM; no questions. Its a much better made car, easier and much cheaper to mod.

Lets say you go buy a 240sx, spend 3,000 on a pretty nice one with some miles on it. And you drop a SR or RB in it. There goes at least another 3-5k depending on the swap and how nice you do it. So right of the bat you've spent 6-8k on this 240sx without doing any body kits or S15 conversion or whatever. If you go out and buy a DSM for 3,000 and droped 3-5k on the engine you would have a much faster and better built car period. Not to mention that most guys out there with DSMs have already starter to mod them. There are guys on the classifieds in here with HX35s and GT37 setups ready to go for 5-6k and all you gotta do is go pick it up, then drop more money in it if you want it faster or better. A lot more money and time would go to the 240 over the DSM its just depends what you want. Just my 2 cents

if you have the money i'd go with a nice 240. i'd be something different and new to you, as well as super fast. if you need help finding a rb25 or sr20 or anything, i know of a website that sells the whole motor, trans and ecu for basically any swap from japan. if i had a 240 i'd go the rb25 route.

I have both..and I'll be honest..for different scenarios they both are freaking fun to drive...Maintenance wise..i haven't had to do much to my sr20's...a little more maintenance on my 4g63 but everyone has different motors..i know people that are always maintaining the SR and never the 4g so...its a crap shoot

I agree that if you DO choose handling over straight line traction (240 over the AWD DSM), then stick with the KA and turbo it. I have personal experience doing a ka-t build. It was silly how easy it was to get good power out of the KA. And the 1990-1991 ecus are all eprom. With LiveEdit (a free Nissan ecu software tuning solution) plus an emulator or chip burner, you have plenty of control over the ecu to deal with 500-600whp. . .

. . . But I still like an awd dsm. Even less money involved in building to such level. AND the AWD cars are more affordable. s-13's and newer are fashion and trend right now.

Army money should make the decision fairly easy... buy both. You can get both fairly cheap in good shape. Just will take a bit longer to mod them because you have to split your budget. LOL

I did a build up of a 240 with an 20det drivetrain with a customer in 2007. Had an ebay header and all the usual bolt ons. It was a good looking car if the whole Silvia thing is for you. The rear drive was fun. I also own a Mustang SVO. Same thing really. Both rear drive sidways machines.
I also own an AWD talon and the difference is amazing. If you ever plan to drive in snow you will see. My mustang SVO will get stuck in it's own shadow. It does have an Auburn LSD and snow tires. Hands down the Talon is a blast to drive. It is nothing like a turbo FWD. I know this, have also a B6 A4 turbo FWD. The Audi traction control is always on in the winter cause' the fronts always spin. Total joke. Buy an AWD or at least drive one. You will see. Tres....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back