The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Cannot locate Idle Air Control Valve or Possible got wrong one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phi0s

Probationary Member
Feb 26, 2013
Lol, California
Alright, so I've been toying with this thing for hours, and my Haynes, nor my incessent googling for the past 3 days has given me what I'm looking for, hopefully you guys can help. I'm trying to replace the AICV with a new one since I'm having horrific idle problems and I've got an CEL. I can't for ANYTHING find the AIC. Some posts say there are two bolts, some say 3, and the best I've gotten is to take apart something on the throttle body that looks pretty important, but doesn't look like the replacement AIC I got. I've uploaded pictures of what I think is the right place, and the AIC I ordered. Perhaps I got the wrong one? The electrical connector to whatever I took out on the picture of my car has 6 pins, replacement AICV has 4. Unless what I have goes behind the bit that is still in there as well? Even the two tips look different.

Attachments

• 20130607_112042_2.jpg
    20130607_112042_2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 18480236_bwd_21985_pri_larg.jpg
    18480236_bwd_21985_pri_larg.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 236
It's typically referred to as the IAC valve, and it looks like you took it apart. The three screws you pulled disassembled it in half almost. There should be two small bolts holding the half still attached to the throttle body onto the throttle body :)

I have no idea what that second picture is, but it doesn't look like a dsm IAC. It does look like it might be an IAC for another vehicle though, but it's not for your car.

The correct IAC has 6-pins.

Yeah. Trusting people at those places is gambling at best.

Next time buy OEM or get a known working used part off the classifieds. If you don't know part numbers and don't have a discounting Mitsu dealer worth a damn, try Paul at JNZ Tuning. OEM parts are very well designed for the most part (with the one major exception being the damned crankshaft pulley).

I believe this is the one you need.

Buy BWD/Intermotor Fuel Injection Idle Speed Stabilizer 21988 at Advance Auto Parts

It's weird that if you place a 98 Eclipse Turbo car you get the one you mention at Advance Auto but I used a 1995 Eclipse Turbo and got the correct one. Reading the comments in the product page confirms these are for DSMs. Good luck.

quick tip: Use code P20 for promo code at checkout (even if using store pick up) and you get 20% off the part.

Yeah. Trusting people at those places is gambling at best.

Next time buy OEM or get a known working used part off the classifieds. If you don't know part numbers and don't have a discounting Mitsu dealer worth a damn, try Paul at JNZ Tuning. OEM parts are very well designed for the most part (with the one major exception being the damned crankshaft pulley).

Lol, thanks for the advice, I'll remember that. I appreciate the help, I see where I messed up. ty :)

I believe this is the one you need.

Buy BWD/Intermotor Fuel Injection Idle Speed Stabilizer 21988 at Advance Auto Parts

It's weird that if you place a 98 Eclipse Turbo car you get the one you mention at Advance Auto but I used a 1995 Eclipse Turbo and got the correct one. Reading the comments in the product page confirms these are for DSMs. Good luck.

quick tip: Use code P20 for promo code at checkout (even if using store pick up) and you get 20% off the part.

I knew I wasn't crazy. Thanks for the link man.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back