The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can you use stroker pistons with an 88mm crank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
Total noob question, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Can I use stroker pistons with a standard stroke crankshaft? I have found a really good deal on some JE pistons in my bore, but they say they are for the a 7 bolt 4g63 with 100mm stroke crank. I have the standard 88mm crank, and unfortunately 150mm eagles. Can I use these pistons with the 88mm crank and 156mm long rods? Or the 100mm crank and 150mm std rods? Or are there different pistons specifically for long rods? Also, these pistons are for the EVO 4-9. I plan on running a stock cam for a more useable powerband, you think my valves will clear? I'd like to take advantage of pin the offset if possible.

On another note, this might be a good opportunity to make this car a stroker. Assuming all I would need at this point would be the 4g64 crank, does anybody have a 7 bolt 4g64 crank they'd wanna trade for one of my 7 bolt 4g63 cranks? (preferably cut 0.25mm to match my bearings.)
OR
Does anybody have any eagle or similar 7 bolt H-beam long rods they would want to trade for my eagle H beam std length rods? mine are opened but never installed.

Total noob question, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Can I use stroker pistons with a standard stroke crankshaft? I have found a really good deal on some JE pistons in my bore, but they say they are for the a 7 bolt 4g63 with 100mm stroke crank. I have the standard 88mm crank, and unfortunately 150mm eagles. Can I use these pistons with the 88mm crank and 156mm long rods? Or the 100mm crank and 150mm std rods? Or are there different pistons specifically for long rods?
Yes, you can use 100mm stroker 1.13" compression height pistons with a 88mm stroke crankshaft but you must use 156mm rods. 100mm stroker pistons and 2.0 156mm long rod pistons are the same.

Also, these pistons are for the EVO 4-9. I plan on running a stock cam for a more useable powerband, you think my valves will clear? I'd like to take advantage of pin the offset if possible.
Nobody can tell you for sure if you will have sufficient piston/valve clearance or not without knowing the piston spec. This would depend on the piston top/valve relief design and your setup. You should check the clearance when you assemble the engine. And if you wouldn't flip EVO4-9 asymmetrical skirt pistons on DSM, the major thrust side would be on the opposite side. It may cause some issues like piston slap or abnormal wear on cylinder wall/piston skirt. It would even go worse on a stroker engine.
IMO, you should get a right set for DSM. I think it would be safer, easier and perhaps cheaper. If something bad happens, to rebuild would cost way more than buying a right set.

I absolutely agree. I certainly will clay my pistons. I am tight on cash at the moment and anxious to get this car going, I would absolutely return them if my valves did not clear when reversed, and not run them with the pin offset the wrong way, but if my valves do clear (and I suspect they will because JE absolutely considered the likely hood of an aggressive, long duration cam when designing the reliefs) I will have little worry about running them. Also OEM EVO 8 pistons with their dinky little reliefs clear the stock valvetrain in our cars when they are reversed, just looking at pictures the JEs have much deeper reliefs, so I'm pretty confident they will clear.

Also I may be mistaken, but I feel like it is an offset wristpin in these pistons and the evo pistons. I have an evo piston in my hand right now and the skirt is symmetrical on either side but the wristpin hole is 1mm closer to one of the skirts, however, I think what you said about the major thrust side being on the wrong side is true of the wristpin offset, not skirt asymmetry, right?

Last edited:
I would calculate the compression ratio first. I have a set of 1.142" CH pistons for my 2.0L long rod motor - on a 88mm crank, they give around 8.6:1 compression, but on a 100mm crank, the number is closer to 9.7:1. If you're doing the inverse, you might end up with some wacky low ratio. I'm also not a fan of flipping offset wrist pins, but just because the pistons are classed as Evo 4-9, doesn't mean that the pin is offset. Run the part number and see what the manufacturer says about them. If the pins are not offset and the compression ratio is reasonable on a long-rod motor, I see no issue with this.

I absolutely agree. I certainly will clay my pistons. I am tight on cash at the moment and anxious to get this car going, I would absolutely return them if my valves did not clear when reversed, and not run them with the pin offset the wrong way, but if my valves do clear (and I suspect they will because JE absolutely considered the likely hood of an aggressive, long duration cam when designing the reliefs) I will have little worry about running them. Also OEM EVO 8 pistons with their dinky little reliefs clear the stock valvetrain in our cars when they are reversed, just looking at pictures the JEs have much deeper reliefs, so I'm pretty confident they will clear.

Also I may be mistaken, but I feel like it is an offset wristpin in these pistons and the evo pistons. I have an evo piston in my hand right now and the skirt is symmetrical on either side but the wristpin hole is 1mm closer to one of the skirts, however, I think what you said about the major thrust side being on the wrong side is true of the wristpin offset, not skirt asymmetry, right?
Asymmetrical skirts, one side is wider and the other side is narrower, The wider one should be on the major thrust side, which on exhaust side on DSM and on intake side on EVO4-9. You don't want to receive much load on the narrow tiny skirts.
As for the EVO8 OEM pistons, those pistons have dish top and slightly lower compression height, so the valve reliefs are not as shallow as you imagine. But the right way to use those pistons on DSM is you trim the intake valve reliefs. It would probably work just flipping pistons for many people but I have also seen some people got valves bent. And yes, in general aftermarket pistons have deeper valve reliefs.
Since you mentioned that you use the stock cams, I assume you won't rev higher than the stock rev limit and the valves are the standard size. If so, I guess the piston/valve clearance won't be a big problem if you are not planning to go with agressive cams and rev higher in the future.

If the pins are not offset and the compression ratio is reasonable on a long-rod motor, I see no issue with this.
Yes agree, but that is only if the pistons skirts are symmetrical or full round. He should flip them if the skirts are asymmetrical otherwise the tiny skirt would be on the major thrust side and that's not a good idea.
JE's old model for EVOs was symmetrical and round skirt, so it is sold as for EVO 1-9, DSM 7 bolt together. But IIRC JE started to change their lineup of 4g63 to asymmetrical about 10 years ago and separated their lineup for early 4g63 and late EVO4-9 4g63. OP stated that the piston kit is for EVO 4-9, so which means I think the pistons have asymmetrical skirts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back