The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can you peoples review my suspension plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focusedrage

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2002
Laytonsville, Maryland
Untill i can savemoney for tiens this will have to do:

---H & R sport springs
---Ingall Front and rear camber kits with poly urathane bushings, -1 to 3degrees
---KYB agx shocks

does anyone have experience with this set up or have used the h & Rs. I would go with sport lines but i have heard they lower much more then its suposed too and it would look wierd with the stock rims.

Also once i have it all together ill have it aligned and put one degree of negative camber all around (is this ok? i have read that this will improve cornering alot with minimal tire where)

Edit: I just realized that some prices for ingalls kits were per wheel, so meaby there are better adjustable kits that dont cost a million dollars

If that's not what you want, save up for what you do. Re-modding sucks (and is expensive). Sounds like a decent street setup though.

Koni Yellow or Tokico Illuminas
H&R Race springs or Eibach Prokits
Ingalls camber kit
RMDSM sway bars
Generic Ebay strut bars
Polyeurathane suspension bushing kit

You'll ride STIFF. Will be nice IMO...

p.s. if you can afford a higher dollar setup, go with a full JIC coilover system.

Originally posted by brpeclipse
Generic Ebay strut bars
These are just dead weight. Either get a solid bar or don't get anything. The rest of the stuff makes a decent setup as well, with different goals.

I feel your pain man . . . those Ingall kits look nice- but dang!! What a price?!?! So I did some research and look what I found :D . . . That's right -- A group buy! ~ 120 bux for the front (Left & Right Sides) and free shipping. None of this 199 for one SIDE!

Alright alright- here's the link. . .

http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.aspx?id=10894 :shhh:

wow thanks, but peoples the jic set up is more expensive then the tiens, 1700 vs 1200 i think. ill reserch it, but i think i may save for the good'uns

1.) Strut bars do not make THAT big of a difference.
2.) All strut bars do the same thing, they push away at the top of the strut. RRE ones are noted to SUCK because of the one bolt flange they have and in some instances they strip the bolt. IMO as well as others is that any 2-3 bolt strut bar that looks worthy of buying is just that...worthy of buying. Only "bar" that will increase handling noticeably will be the sway bars. Sure the RIGID looking MachV strut bar, (their one piece one they sell for ~200.00), may look nice, but it does the same thing pilot strut bars do. Its your choice, do a search... a lot of people agree with what im saying. HTH

I dunno if my frame is made out of rubber or if a sunroof makes more of a difference than i thought, but i got front and rear strut bars for like $80 total and the difference is night and day. The rear made more of a difference than the front, but together it's harmony. Same with my last car, big difference. But on my last car the bigger sway bar DID make more of an improvement than the strut bar.

I live my life a corner at a time. It doesn't matter if you improve by a little or alot, improving is improving. Any true racer will tell you that.
:barf:

Originally posted by brpeclipse
1.) Strut bars do not make THAT big of a difference.

Don't make blanket statements, the original poster is asking about a 1G, totally different suspension.
2Gs have a SLA style suspension with a shock. The shock DOES NOT determine the path of the hub, it's path is governed by the upper and lower control arms. Consequently the top of the shock does not try to bend the frame of the car as much as the mounting points of the control arm. 2G "strut bars" should be mounted to the upper control arm mounting bolts, not the shock mount. The old Neuspeed bar did this, but it's not made anymore.
A 1G uses a macphersion struts, totally different type of suspension. The strut suspension has a lower A arm, which attaches to the hub, which attaches to the strut. The strut only bolts into the frame in the engine bay. On a 1G the strut mounting area is actually stressed and a bar does make a difference.

If you already have springs and shocks the strut bar does not make as dramatic of a difference in my personal experience.
Rear "strut" bars on 1Gs don't seem to do a whole lot in terms of handling. The rear has a double wishbone style suspension and the shock isn't trying to bend the frame of the car much. They can help if you have a creaking hatch though.

Not flaming, just trying to correct something a lot of people don't know about.

As for your suspension setup it sounds pretty good. I have konis with H&Rs, and ST rear sway bar, full poly bushings (everything but rear subframe0, whiteline caster bushings, and whiteline rear camber bushings.
The whiteline bushings in the rear allow you 3 degrees of adjustment on top of the stock eccentric adjustment. They're also cheaper than the ingalls arms by a lot.
Finding them now is somewhat hard since mofugas went out of business. I know dsmparts.com can get them, but they seem to have rather long waits. You can always get in touch with whiteline in and have them shipped from Australia.

here's a page my friend Jake wrote on their install:
http://co.dsm.org/users/jake/DSM/projects/rear_suspension/index3.shtml

Up front you can slot the front strut mounting tabs to get more adjustment. I haven't done this personally. You can talk to Mike Croutcher at DSS in CA about it, he is the one who recomended it to me.

As for the spring heights I have to agree with the sportlines being too low. My friend Scott has them on his car and has hit the bumpstops quite a few times on track days.
There's a couple pictures of my car to give you an idea about ride height with H&Rs on here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1589&perpage=12&sort=1

hey NDgsx, was looking at your gallery, the h & rs seem to make the wheels fit perfect. also who made your roll bar?

It was a local guy named Rob who used to make them for a shop named pre-grid in Redmond WA (custom per car, not kits). This was in 99 though, I'm not sure what happened to him.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back