The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Can you guys lead me in the right direction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patthehat033

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 25, 2010
Saint Charles, Missouri
Hey I have been searching the forum and I can't find information on the safety of these DSM's.

I am not talking reliability, but is there a thread that explains exactly how safe the 2G Eclipses are (like crash tests etc.), sorry if I missed the thread, I just couldn't find the thread even though it was probably right in front of me.

Most of us here don't buy these cars because they're safe or unsafe so it's not something that comes up.

Yeah really. I don't think this has ever been discussed. It's not like these are good family cars.

BTW OP, you can crash in a tank and still have your spine broken. America's highways are a drive at your own risk setup.

1995-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse: Full Review - Consumer Guide Automotive
Second result in Google, try searching the entire interwebs. Most of us here don't buy these cars because they're safe or unsafe so it's not something that comes up.

Edit:
Third result with one word in boolean changed:
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Hatchback Crash Tests | 1995 Eclipse GST Hatchback Crash Test Results & Safety Ratings at Automotive.com

Hey thanks a lot for the websites! So far it seems as if the frontal impact testing are quite good! 4 out 5. Now I have to find some side rating, it doesn't seem as if they have been tested on either of these sites.

And yeah I know what you mean with the safety, I don't have a car yet, but my parents want me to have atleast a decently safe car, especially if I am modifying it a ton and whatnot. But in your guys case you guys probably know the risks your taking with racing, and have proper protection etc. So the subject probably doesn't come up often.

A turbo DSM makes a terrible first car.

My first two cars were GSTs.
(A N/A DSM makes a terrible car in general - the Neon is a FAR superior car in every way short of looks.)

A turbo DSM makes a terrible first car.

My first two cars were GSTs.
(A N/A DSM makes a terrible car in general - the Neon is a FAR superior car in every way short of looks.)

Yeah thats true, but you have to make your way into the turbo world somehow, why not start off in the beginning, can't get yourself much more experienced then that. But yeah its probably not the greatest choice, but I will learn to drive in an automatic PT Cruiser, so I will get the feel for driving, then I will get my license and go from there.

Turbo DSM = broken for the first half of your ownership, and more so if you're putting a lot of power down. If it's your first (read: only) car... invest in some good walking shoes. At this point you probably don't have the tools or knowledge to fix it yourself. Don't let that discourage you though. A cage and 5-point harness would probably keep you safer than most drivers out there! LOL

Turbo DSM = broken for the first half of your ownership, and more so if you're putting a lot of power down. If it's your first (read: only) car... invest in some good walking shoes. At this point you probably don't have the tools or knowledge to fix it yourself. Don't let that discourage you though. A cage and 5-point harness would probably keep you safer than most drivers out there! LOL

Yeah this is what I have heard, but the PT isn't exactly the most reliable car either.. :p I'll need to invest in some more tools as you said, so far I'm up to a compressor about 6 air tools, a welder, and all the sockets I really need, and some nice impact sockets..unfortunately they are SAE. I also have allen wrenches, normal wrenches, ratchets, plyers, wire cutters etc. (keep in mind I am 14 so I'm still working my way up the tool chain. haha) But yeah I got a crap load of learning ahead of me, and I am up for it! :thumb: Hopefully I can spot some rides (ALOT) of rides, from my friends LOL.

Otherwise.. I'm going to be taking the little pocket bike to school. haha

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a $400 Honda/Toyota to drive when the DSM was broken.
Hell, I'm on a nice clean '98 AWD now and I'm STILL thinking about buying a $400 Honda/Toyota for when the DSM's not running (it's not broken, but I'm not bothering to drive it) and I don't feel like feeding the Jeep..

Now, regarding safety, forget the ratings. The ratings tell you what happens if you crash. What you need to be concerned with is the likelyhood of you crashing. With a turbocharged first car, that goes way up.

Just because it might be his first car and it has a turbo does not mean he had to or will drive like asshole.

I've seen lots of kids wreck 90hp civics. He'll even a 35hp VW beetle can get up enough speed to kill you.

Kids aren't dying because their cars are fast, had they had a slow car they would most likely end up wrecking it just the same. Just because it can go 145+ does not mean you have to, not to mention most cars are able to hit 100+.

I'm just saying, telling someone they are going to drive a car like a douchebag just because it's fast is totally judgemental bullshit.

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a $400 Honda/Toyota to drive when the DSM was broken.
Hell, I'm on a nice clean '98 AWD now and I'm STILL thinking about buying a $400 Honda/Toyota for when the DSM's not running (it's not broken, but I'm not bothering to drive it) and I don't feel like feeding the Jeep..

Now, regarding safety, forget the ratings. The ratings tell you what happens if you crash. What you need to be concerned with is the likelyhood of you crashing. With a turbocharged first car, that goes way up.

No I agree with you it will be broken down everyday (well not probably broken down, but it will be taken a part.) Where can I pull off getting a $400 Toyota or Honda that lasts longer than like a month, before it needs a whole new engine rebuild? haha.

Just because it might be his first car and it has a turbo does not mean he had to or will drive like asshole.

I've seen lots of kids wreck 90hp civics. He'll even a 35hp VW beetle can get up enough speed to kill you.

Kids aren't dying because their cars are fast, had they had a slow car they would most likely end up wrecking it just the same. Just because it can go 145+ does not mean you have to, not to mention most cars are able to hit 100+.

I'm just saying, telling someone they are going to drive a car like a douchebag just because it's fast is totally judgemental bullshit.

That is also very true, I'm not really much of a dare devil or anything either. I feel that the more power you have the less apt you are to use it, because you know you have behind you at all times. Unless your racing, then I'm guessing your going to run that car like theres no tomorrow. But on the other hand I don't feel he was saying that all drivers are complete assholes with driving, just that there are a lot of people out there who tend to show off for their friends by peeling out at every light and hitting 120 on the highway. haha

I say let the turbo car be your first car. You can learn as you break things. Just don't complain about your only car breaking down on you :)

I say let the turbo car be your first car. You can learn as you break things. Just don't complain about your only car breaking down on you :)

Thanks bro! :thumb: I own one of them Chinese P.O.S pocket rockets, and that thing breaks down every other day, so I can KIND OF understand the feeling. It may be a bit different though, when I have to go to school, and I'm walking down the street instead of driving down it. LOL

But seriously.. I like the $400 Honda/Toyota where can I manage one of those.

No I agree with you it will be broken down everyday

If you agree it will be broken down often, and no one in your family has a mechanical background, why are you still pursuing this car? Even if you do have a mechanic in the family, is it fair to rely on them as much as you will have to? These cars are getting old and require a fair amount of attention. Doesn't mean they aren't strong and reliable, they're just getting finicky given their age and design.

That is also very true, I'm not really much of a dare devil or anything either. I feel that the more power you have the less apt you are to use it, because you know you have behind you at all times

This statement doesn't make sense. You're saying if you have the power you're less likely to use it. So by that logic if you have no power you're more likely to use it (even though it isn't there).
If you have no intention of going fast, why even have a fast car?

:aha: Here's an idea. Learn to walk before you run. The motor in these cars can't be mickey moused together. It's not that it's less reliable or cheaply manufactured, it's that that a turbocharged car has extra strain being put on it due to the nature of the forced induction system. Therefore it requires more maintenance, time, knowledge, and money.
Like Absit has tried to tell you in a polite way, this is a very poor choice for a starting vehicle (so is an STI, Evo, Mustang GT, etc.). Fast cars and inexperience don't mix.

Your thread title says "lead me in the right direction", so take it from people who have more experience. Instead of jumping into a turbo car, shoot for something simpler. Nissan, Honda, Toyota; all make great simple, cheap and safe cars. If you're hellbent on a DSM, just get a non-turbo model for now.

But seriously.. I like the $400 Honda/Toyota where can I manage one of those.

Now that would be a wise purchase :)

GL my friend.

If you agree it will be broken down often, and no one in your family has a mechanical background, why are you still pursuing this car? Even if you do have a mechanic in the family, is it fair to rely on them as much as you will have to? These cars are getting old and require a fair amount of attention. Doesn't mean they aren't strong and reliable, they're just getting finicky given their age and design.

This statement doesn't make sense. You're saying if you have the power you're less likely to use it. So by that logic if you have no power you're more likely to use it (even though it isn't there).
If you have no intention of going fast, why even have a fast car?

:aha: Here's an idea. Learn to walk before you run. The motor in these cars can't be mickey moused together. It's not that it's less reliable or cheaply manufactured, it's that that a turbocharged car has extra strain being put on it due to the nature of the forced induction system. Therefore it requires more maintenance, time, knowledge, and money.
Like Absit has tried to tell you in a polite way, this is a very poor choice for a starting vehicle (so is an STI, Evo, Mustang GT, etc.). Fast cars and inexperience don't mix.

Your thread title says "lead me in the right direction", so take it from people who have more experience. Instead of jumping into a turbo car, shoot for something simpler. Nissan, Honda, Toyota; all make great simple, cheap and safe cars. If you're hellbent on a DSM, just get a non-turbo model for now.

Now that would be a wise purchase :)

GL my friend.

Well the answer to the first statement is I really want to learn how to fix the car up (repair/modify it). I am hoping to become a mechanic, so getting in as much knowledge as possible is the main idea.

When I say I am not a dare devil, I mean I am not going to be pulling off any Paul walker 180 turns, dodging in and out of cars, playing chicken with the opposite side of the road drivers. I'm saying I'm going to save the speed for the drag strip. (Where I'm wearing proper protection etc.)

Also when I say "People are more apt to not go fast in a car that has more power" is for example: When you see a 450HP Dodge Viper rolling down the street you don't see them going 100 MPH down the highway. But the bozo you do see going 100MPH down the highway is the N/T Honda Civic with the body kit flying by you in the fast lane. Probably hitting its top speed. It might not make a ton of sense but thats how I think of it.

Yeah I agree that would be nice car to have around.. LOL

Thanks for the input I will take it into consideration.

If we were to really lead you in the right direction, it would be away from these money and time sinks. Addicting cars, yes. Practical purchases, no.

Turbo DSM is the way to go for sure..... It will be a learning experience,lots of fun and a pain in the ass all at the same time!!

Dude, it's all relative. A turbo car might be right for some people but not others. Don't hype him up because you've had years of experience and it's all easy now. Everyone's different.

I know I wasn't ready for my turbo Toyota MR2. I'm just trying to help you out patt/hatt so you make the right decision so you're not disappointed down the road

Don't wanna get in over your head :thumb:

If we were to really lead you in the right direction, it would be away from these money and time sinks. Addicting cars, yes. Practical purchases, no.

This. :thumb:

If you need a reliable dd to make it to school and work. Pick up a 1k beater. Drive the dsm on the side. Every mod takes double the money and time you thought it would. Every bolt breaks, upkeep is expensive, have to run premium+.

But for a weekend warrior/fun street car theres nothing better imo. Awd and turbo is alot of fun and these cars make a great noise haha. Between the turbo spooling, bov poppin off, and the exhaust not sounding like a raspy honda. There are just a blast to drive.

Re: $400 Honda/Toyota - Craigslist. Every day I see half a dozen or more late 80's early 90's Hondas/Toyotas and some late '90s Kias/Hyundais for under a grand. Most of these cars, depending on the owner, will run forever.

Also when I say "People are more apt to not go fast in a car that has more power" is for example: When you see a 450HP Dodge Viper rolling down the street you don't see them going 100 MPH down the highway. But the bozo you do see going 100MPH down the highway is the N/T Honda Civic with the body kit flying by you in the fast lane. Probably hitting its top speed. It might not make a ton of sense but thats how I think of it.

He's dead on guys... I couldn't tell you the last time I let the viper lay the rubber... Or the Rx-7, or the new DSM for that matter. I'd bet that most of the high HP cars on here or on the street aren't driving around like idiots. It's these 1,000 civics, mx-3's etc that floor it from every stop light and so on. Why would we beat on vehicles we have sooo much time and money in? A DSM is a great choice if and only if you have a decent DD.

I bought a 98 metro a few years ago(3cyl with 100k on her) and was going to drive it for a month or 2 and junk it. A year and a few months later when it wouldn't die I decided to change the oil and all the fluids and she still runs like a beast today. I actually love the car, paid 800 I think.

Thanks for the support!

But the problem is the insurance. If I am 16 and am insured under 2 cars, the insurance would be outrageous. For that matter I would probably be dropped from the company. :p

My technically first car was an awd dsm..They will make you too cocky tho..So I guess i would not suggest it being your first car either..

If your 16 the insurance will be outragous anyway..til you hit about 21..And you probably will be under mom and dads insurance for a while..Unless you take out your own which would be smart, cause b the time your 18 it shouldn't be that bad for a awd turbo dsm..

IDK bout most of you guys but it in the 6 years i've had my DSM I have only had 3 days in which it was "broken down"(and that was because my torque conveter broke and I decided to get the complete transmission rebuilt while it was out)

Other than that it has been daily driven quite alot since then. 189,000 miles and still counting :). All I gotta say is do your recomended maintanance when its required; and don't cheap out on vital parts. If you treat your car nice it will treat you back the same for them most part.

I've only technically been broken down a couple times..Twice in one week, but I fixed it on the road and went along my way.Have had a the alternator go out one times, battery dead a couple times, that when a lil jump comes in handy...It's been down for maintenance a couple times..Basically for a couple weeks every winter..But all in all I've never been broken down on the side of the road and had to get it towed..Ok well one time, but car ran fine, I snapped my wheel studs off and had to have it towed 6 blocks to get new ones..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back