The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can you Confirm my Guess?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bymp

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 22, 2010
Chattanooga, Tennessee
I have a stock 2G turbo, after the transmission went out, I went all out on the car and am finally bringing her up to date on all of her doctor appointments.

In the process I notice that I was smoking now at idle. I recently added a new 3inch exhaust full from turbo down, with a test pipe installed. The smoke goes away while driving. I do have oil coming out the tip of my exhaust that is noticeable. My guess is a blown oil seal on the turbo.

Does it sound like I'm guessing right so far?

Another problem I've developed nearly at the same time is a knock when I'm accelerating from a dead stop on a warm engine. I only do this while accelerating initially. After this point, I don't get another knock unless I stop again. Can the knock be due to the blown turbo? If I have a blown turbo?

Last question, I ordered a Glowshift Vacuum + Boost gauge, up to 30 PSI. Installed it tonight while waiting for my new turbo to get here. (Went ahead and upgraded to a 14B just incase I did have a blown turbo). When I installed the boost gauge earlier, I started the car, and I'm reading 20 psi Vacuum?!? Not Boost. Is this normal? I T-connected the boost gauge just like this image:
~~ Image ~~

Did I do something wrong? Can a blown oil seal in a turbo cause it to be at a Vacuum? I have not tried to drive the car around, this was all at idle.

Thanks,

Joe

Man I hope you didnt spin a rod bearing beacuse of the knocking.And the smoke could be the cause of a turbo going bad mabye you have metal in your oil check it out good luck man.

The smoking at idle sounds like blown seals for sure.

Im unsure about the knock question. Maybe your car is intaking some oil for a second After idle, causing knock?

The vacuum normal, at idle, even under light acceleration your car will be in vacuum. My vacuum is at 16-17 but I believe I have a few leaks.

Than again im a noob and will learn something if I am wrong.

Car runs just fine up to this point, nothing out of the ordinary.

Just think it's strange to pull a Vacuum after hooking up the gauge?

Just curious, if I did spin a rod.... That's something I would notice while driving I would assume? If I'm thinking about the placement in the engine and all, I would imagine having a hard time driving the car.

Just think it's strange to pull a Vacuum after hooking up the gauge?

You will be in vacuum until you start building boost (forced induction, 0-30 on your gauge) you wont build boost at idle. You build boost by A: driving the car in propper rpm range with your foot in it being, "under load"

Or B: using a 2-step/3-step/anti lag launch. But, the engine will not be under load, you will only be able to build a smaller amount of boost. Example: when I use my 2-step, set at 4500 rpm I see about 8lbs of boost. But if im doing a 3rd gear pull, by the time I reach 4500 im at peak boost, 28 psi.

Being under load changes a lot of things, for example: a car will build boost at a lower rpm in 5th gear opposed to using third gear, BUT that boost will be practically useless at 40mph in 5th gear. I mean who floors it in 5th gear LOL just downshift.

Anyway I digress...

Thank you :)

You were right about being in Vacuum till actually spool kicks in. The car is boosting just fine, low, but fine.

Seeing about 8-11 psi.

Any idea on if a blown turbo can cause too much A\F ? I know I'm running rich, but didn't know if a turbo can cause that?

I have no idea how to adjust my Fuel pressure regulator since I don't have a wideband or tuning software (Yet).

I don't believe a blown turbo would do that.

Do you mean adjust AFR? Air fuel ratio? Might be because im new but I don't think you need to touch your fuel pressure regulator.

I have a stock 2G turbo, after the transmission went out, I went all out on the car and am finally bringing her up to date on all of her doctor appointments.

In the process I notice that I was smoking now at idle. I recently added a new 3inch exhaust full from turbo down, with a test pipe installed. The smoke goes away while driving. I do have oil coming out the tip of my exhaust that is noticeable. My guess is a blown oil seal on the turbo.

Most likely the turbo seals or journal brearings if your getting liquid oil out of your exhaust.

Another problem I've developed nearly at the same time is a knock when I'm accelerating from a dead stop on a warm engine. I only do this while accelerating initially. After this point, I don't get another knock unless I stop again. Can the knock be due to the blown turbo? If I have a blown turbo?

Probably not. where exactly is the noise comming from? engine bay, rear, front, middle of car? could be motor/diff/tranny mounts any driveline component. Did the noise only appear after the tranny swap?

Last question, I ordered a Glowshift Vacuum + Boost gauge, up to 30 PSI. Installed it tonight while waiting for my new turbo to get here. (Went ahead and upgraded to a 14B just incase I did have a blown turbo). When I installed the boost gauge earlier, I started the car, and I'm reading 20 psi Vacuum?!? Not Boost. Is this normal? I T-connected the boost gauge just like this image:
~~ Image ~~

Did I do something wrong? Can a blown oil seal in a turbo cause it to be at a Vacuum? I have not tried to drive the car around, this was all at idle.

All gasoline engines have vaccum even though the turbo is still spinning, exhaust flow is just to low. 20in is a decent vaccum, you will only build boost under load.

Any idea on if a blown turbo can cause too much A\F ? I know I'm running rich, but didn't know if a turbo can cause that?

I have no idea how to adjust my Fuel pressure regulator since I don't have a wideband or tuning software (Yet).

Yes to a point. your ecu maps will deliver a higher duty cyle ie more fuel under a higher throttle percentage but it also takes into account load, o2 readings, maf readings etc so you most likely wont run overly rich.

Also if you have a stock FPR you cannot adjust fuel pressure.

The smoking at idle sounds like blown seals for sure.
Why exactly would a turbo smoke it's most at idle when it is not generating boost and oil pressure is the lowest?

I do have oil coming out the tip of my exhaust that is noticeable.
Are you sure it's oil and not unburnt fuel?

It would, but only under load where the turbo would normally be generating boost.

Sounds to me like you're running rich from some other reason (poor tune, oversized injectors, excessive fuel pressure) and it flooded the crankcase, washed the bearings, and caused what is now an engine failure. Too much unburnt fuel entering the crankcase can ruin a good engine in under 1000 miles.

I figured it could be a minute amount of smoke only visible at idle due to less air exiting the exhaust. Opposed to revving up the engine just blowing it out quick enough to not be visible. Maybe he is seeing a crazy amount if oil pressure at idle? Unrestricted feeding from the housing.

Im not the turbo expert :thumb: like I said im new and will learn because I am probably wrong.

Generally-speaking:

Smoke at idle = valve seals.

Smoke under boost or decel after a hard pull = turbo.

Smoke all the time = engine.

There are some crossover situations- for example a badly-blown turbo will smoke all the time, but you'd never see a situation like this and not have a ridiculous amount of shaft play at the turbo. I've yet to see an example where a turbo would smoke only at idle and not while driving.

Ahh ok. Valve seals also popped into my head but the question was so turbo based that the journal bearings/seals came to mind first. Also jafromobile had a video up of his blown turbo, it had crazy shaft play and it smoked at idle terribly but would die down as he applied throttle. Thanks for the info.

Well the reason I also thought my Turbo was while I performed a boost pressure test at my turbo, I had air bubbling through my oil pan up to my valve cover. The air would leak out of my valve cover breather and my oil cap. If I performed the boost test at the intake manifold, then I no longer had my problems.

As far as the fuel \ pressure regulator goes.... I do only have my stock regulator. While replacing my A\C compressor, I removed the parts in this area, including the stock regulator. I don't know if I could have turned the dial any while doing this and caused my car to be running rich as well..... Leading to my knock only on a warm acceleration from dead stop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back