The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Can this head be repaired?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painmaster

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2002
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
I just picked up another talon with a supposed jumped timing belt, and it turns out there is a hole in the head. Looks like they had a bad head gasket and they just kept on driving it till the aluminium in the head wore through! Anybody have any experience with this type of damage? Is it junk or can it be easily repaired by a skillfull welder / machine shop?

Attachments

• holeinhead.jpg
    holeinhead.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 245
yes I had a repair done to a similar head... They will weld alum to it then grind it back down flat

James

I think total for rebuilding head and fixing the hole was like 350.00

not bad at all

James

I'd think that the price to repair the head would exceed the cost of finding a replacement head. You can find replacement heads for $100 range...

Yeah 200 is cheaper... but then you get a used head in god knows what shape... for an extra 150 you get a rebuilt head w/valve seals.

I'd go rebuild.... just for so you don't question it later !!

James

Originally posted by tsitalon1
Yeah 200 is cheaper... but then you get a used head in god knows what shape... for an extra 150 you get a rebuilt head w/valve seals.

I'd go rebuild.... just for so you don't question it later !!

James

yeah you get it repaired and you have a head that used to have a hole in it that got a piece of metal welded and grinded down on it...ide just find a used head..just ask for detailed pics before you buy it if its not within driving distance.

at least buy from someone you know or is reputable... don't go lowest price :)

Good lord, what happened to that thing? I don't think that's head gasket leaking, or not like I've ever seen.

I'd not bother with this one just by the looks of the corrosion I see.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back