The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can i use this transmission???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16GTSI

20+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2003
Metamora, Michigan
I am putting the turbo engine out of a 93 awd into a 90 nt. Because i know they awd conversion shouldnt be done i was wondering if i can run the awd tranny exclusively as fwd by leaving the transfer case and other parts off. Will partial power still be sent to the nonexisting rear wheels, or with it all go to the front wheels?

That seems like a really bad idea.......an AWD tranny should run an AWD car.

why do you say that? i wouldnt think it would be any harder on the tranny than it would be to run all 4 wheels. Also...is there a fwd turbo trans?

Originally posted by 16GTSI
why do you say that? i wouldnt think it would be any harder on the tranny than it would be to run all 4 wheels. Also...is there a fwd turbo trans?

Yes, there are lots of front wheel drive transmissions for the turbo DSM's, and that is what you are going to want to use.....

you CAN use the awd tranny but you would have to mod the tranny itself. I know you can use a vicious coupler eliminator kit to run an awd car on a fwd dyno so i'd guess you could use that for the street, someone correct me if i'm wrong on that. I have heard that the awd tranny is stronger than the fwd tranny and that some of the faster fwd guys are using awd trannys. I'd say that it's definately looking into.

you CAN use the awd tranny but you would have to mod the tranny itself. I know you can use a vicious coupler eliminator kit to run an awd car on a fwd dyno so i'd guess you could use that for the street, someone correct me if i'm wrong on that. I have heard that the awd tranny is stronger than the fwd tranny and that some of the faster fwd guys are using awd trannys. I'd say that it's definately looking into.

sorry for the double post, my browser didnt load right so i hit the button twice.

I have a awd tranny in my fwd. You need to remove the v/c and weld the center diff. Also weld a plug in the hole for the output to the transer case. That is about it. I have a 2G tranny so I had to change a few other parts but no big deal. The awd tranny is alot better.

if u get a jdm galant vr4 transmission, there is a switch on the tranny to keep it at AWD or FWD and can be switched at any time. u'll need a car lift to do it tho.

CraigB, thanks for the information. Any other information that other have is welcomed but please dont post unless you defrinately know what your talkin about. CraigB, check back here from time to time i might ask ya some more questions. Thanks again.:thumb:

Was just wondering if anyone knows where you can get your hands on a v/c eliminator kit and how much they run for. Also, if anyone knows of a weblink that might have more information on the process that would be sweet.

~I'm out like a fat kid in dodge ball~
Peace

Sorry for all the posts but i thought of another question. If i am using the turbo-awd tranny in a nt-fwd unibody, would i buy a fwd exhaust or a awd exhaust? Or do i have to go custom?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back